Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best prog for schematic and pcb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneelal

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm very new to this. I'm working on school project using a pic, I was planning on using orcad 10,but couldn't find the pic 18f452 that I'm using. Is there some way I can add it? Friends are using microsim 8,with the 18f452 in it, heard the pcb design in that isn't as good as orcad's. It's a realtively simple desgin, to count pulses, calculate speed ,display speed onto LCD and serial communication with another pic. What software is the best for this?

Depends if you want simulation as well as just drafting the schematic and layout the PCB.

If You want to Design>Sim>Layout then i would suggest Proteus or Electronics workbench.

If your chosen package does not have the library part you need, then it should not be too hard to create it.

But the simulation models will be a little more difficult. But I am pretty sure that Proteus offers support for PIC micros also

http://www.labcenter.co.uk/products/pic18.htm

**broken link removed**

Hope some of this helps you

:F

Hello,
I have started with ExpressPCB which is FREE. You can download this software free of cost.

Regards.

For single projects, use EAGLE...
w(w)w.cadsoft.de

gorkin

But the better is protel dxp2004

Hi,

I think, U should try to Use Mentor Pads PowerPCB. It rather easy to use and powerfull for PCB Design

Regards

IC2005

I"m trying Micrsim v8,is this program good?

protel dxp is my favourite.

u can create now library/design in orcad..(look at the tutorial of orcad).

Proteus is best i think
if you use other programs, it's hard to get used to use mouse

If you want to use simulation for your project in future, you should try to use the High End PCB such as : Cadence PSD, Mentor Expedition WG or Mentor Board Station

Regards

I use cadence psd15.0 and pads 2004...but sincerely both sofware have some things I don't like ....with cadence can create very easy schematic parts but when you want to create footprint part will be a little hard.......pads have a footprint parts generator who is very easy to use...but you will need to create a lot of things for you can do the schematic (need to create part, decal and cae ..and this will take you some time if you will start a pcb at 0 without some aditional libs)...
A few years a go I try to use protel but i think this is to complicate than cadence or mentor tools if you want to do not a realy proffesional pcb .

multisim is good

CircuitMaker 2000

protel99se it works and make easy for student.

First of all you have to decide what for you need the schematic software: for PCB layout ot simulation. There are many programs, that can do both, for example OrCAD. But I do not think, that it has a great sense to use such universal schematics. Usually, when you are designing a pcb, you have to pay attention to such components as connectors, switches and so on. Besides you need to provide the manufacturer and supplier data attributes for automated bill of materials generating. All of these stuff is absolute useless for simulation.
The same time for simulation often are used behavioral models, which do not have any sense for pcb design. And skills needed to use these kinds of schematics are different.
That is why it is very pity, that no more OrCAD supports its old Schematics, the old Microsim 8.0 was a great tool for simulating.

Varuzhan

Hi to all

First of all you have to decide about what kind of activity has priority for you

1) Schematic entry
2) PCB
3) Simulation

2nd The preferred Platform where you want to run programs.

I have used Protel98, Orcad, Tango PCB, gEda ,PCAD (too much time ago), Eagle. Everyone of them has it defects and values.
My opinion is:
ORCAD Schematics Good , PCB Very Poor , Simulation Not Too Bad ; Use only versions >9.0
Protel98 Schematics Good , PCB Good , Simulation Bad
Tango PCB Too old but: , PCB Good
gEda under evaluation but for now : schematics Acceptable (runs only in Linux)
Eagle I have tried to use the evaluation but not satisfy me enough.

> couldn't find the pic 18f452 that I'm using. Is there some way I can add it
You can edit the library (or you can create a new one).
Define the body, add the pins ,and edit the pin and componet properties .
Pay a lot of attention , if you do a mistake into the library simulation, or netlist
export may show strange errors.

I hope this helps
enjoy
;-))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back