Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best language to access serial port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumT

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
access serial port using inpout32.dll vb6

What is the best language to write windows programs to access the serial port? I have a little experience with C/C++.

best language serial port

PlatinumT said:
What is the best language to write windows programs to access the serial port? I have a little experience with C/C++.

Almost every language supports communications via serial. Search in the internet, there are a lot of usefull tips.

In C it can be simple done if you use interrupts and assembler.

Dear all
you can use every languge(or compiler) that support windows programming such as Delphi ,VC ,VB or Jave C Bulider ,J Bulider and .....
but as ahmet2004 said if you choose Delphi or C Bulider you cand find alot of free components that simplify your task
Bye.

Hi Ali,
I use Delphi with TComport

https://sourceforge.net/projects/comport/

wich is freeware for all use. I have several projects with it and I can assure that is very simple to use. You have to forget interrupt, i/o, or something else, just concentrate yourself to the protocol you have to implement.

HTH, Sirio.

Sorry, :?
I forgot to say that TComport is also compatible with C++ Builder and it comes with some examples of use!

bye!

Sirio.

Hi,

There are a loot of Dll sources in C that will do the trick and provide a generic interface for C,C++,VB, PASCAL, embedded design, etc.

Do a google on "Serial+Dll+source" and you'll come up with a lot of info!

PlatinumT said:

You can use assembly if you like. Actually if you are crazy enough.

You want my opinion since you asked this question openly.

C or C++ is most common one. You can be cheap an rely on VBRUNxxxx.dll and use serial.OCX (used to be called *.VBX) to do the same thing.

You choose.

PlatinumT said:

MATLAB has extensive support for serial port interface, including nice debugging feature.

I use LabVIEW. With LabVIEW you don't need to search any DLL.

VB is very easy for me.
I used in my projects.

Use Delphi components is an easy way.

Hi

You can use VC++

The file input and output (I/O) functions (CreateFile, CloseHandle, ReadFile, ReadFileEx, WriteFile, and WriteFileEx) provide the basic interface for opening and closing a communications resource handle and for performing read and write operations. The Microsoft® Win32® API also includes a set of communications functions that provide access to communications resources. This overview describes the use of file I/O and communications functions.

Enjoy

Learnning to programm the serial port is not a simple task, therefore depending on yours goals U can use those advices:

If U like to be an amator use VB, DOS (it's simple)

If you are a job hunter for today : use C C++

If you are a job hunter for today and tomorow use Java, C#

Does someone know how to do this in Java? Maybe a link with example programs....
Thanx.

i use in the last project with MATLAB , it is very easy and simple , but may be u face some problem to optimaize the speed of it..

i think visual basic is the easiest language to control your serial port...its too simple...u can do anything in mscomm environment

C is the best. Simple. Seek outportb function and your program will be done.

asrafiel said:
C is the best. Simple. Seek outportb function and your program will be done.

outportb can use in dos and old windows but it can't use in windows xp and nt

Hello all.
For the ones who would like to use a dll to access a hardware port.
The best dll available now, that doesn't need any installation or copy of files etc... is:
**broken link removed**

But for a beginer I would advise to use MSComm.
It is accessible from visual basic and visual c. You will find everything about it in MSDN help (help from visual studio).

For the ones who are using visual basic, it is worth to take a look in the book:
"serial port complete", there are many programs available in the disquette.

For convinience I attached the files to this message.

Greetings to all.
S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back