Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best I/O serial expander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzzy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
serial expander

Hi,

according to your experience, could you tell me wich is the best I/O I2C serial expander to drive 15 automotive relays? I tryed to use PCF8575 interfaced by ULN2003 but It doesn't work.

Do you think PCA9555 could work? is there a better device to do this job?

thanks

pcf8575 problem

You have several drivers from Maxim, Motorola, Philips, Microchip...

Did you consider use of SPI and not only I2C...

What is the power consumption of your relays?

Regards!

Your limitation sounds like it's the current required by the relays. I have used the PCA9538 no problem, but they can only put out so much current. You may have to use a transistor to turn on your relays.

I had problems driving Automotive relays through a darlington array(uln2003).
and I had same problems driving leds directly using a PCF8575.

NOW I found PCA9555, that i think is more suitable for this job. i'm asking you if according to your experiences this expander can work to drive relays or do you think there is a better device ?

reading datasheet, i can say that these device cant' drive directly relays.only (10mA sink)

fuzzzy said:
I had problems driving Automotive relays through a darlington array(uln2003).
and I had same problems driving leds directly using a PCF8575.

NOW I found PCA9555, that i think is more suitable for this job. i'm asking you if according to your experiences this expander can work to drive relays or do you think there is a better device ?

reading datasheet, i can say that these device cant' drive directly relays.only (10mA sink)

If your wire length to the relays are more than a couplt of inches , you still need protection diodes on the relays , the ones in the ULN2003 is not enough

/Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.