Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BEST Electronic magazine and Websites.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Santoshaxl, We have prototype of this ultrasonic distance meter circuit and which is working well. can you tell us why seven segment display will not work in this circuit? You may be having solid reasons which we would like to share for improvement....! You may reply to efylab@efyindia.com

Hi Pranam77, the quality of PCBs supplied by Kits'n'Spares have been improved. Earlier it was in paper epoxy and now it has been upgraded to glass epoxy PCB. You must be having an old PCB...! As far as wrong PCB is concern, kindly mention the name of the project, so that we can take corrective action. Rest assured we are open to suggestions for improvement as it is our magazine, including you...!

Mods: Please move this discussion else where in case you think the thread is getting highjacked with a new topic.

Ah...Nice to have EFY lab in the forum. Welcome to EDA. My sugession is instead mailing privately to EFY, Santoshaxl and many others who have problems with EFY project may post the problems here in this forum, and may get replies from the publisher and these replies may be highly helpful for other future members who are too facing the same problems.

Infact i have noticed the PCB quality is best now as per today. But the layouts are the same. The layouts may be still improved to give a professional look. For example the resistors will never justify in the place given. The relay footprint on the "Electronic Auto Dipper" is given for a old relay but now a sugar cube relay is supplied which doesnt fit on the PCB and need to wire it outside. Electrolytics will need their legs to be spead wide to solder.

In the PCB of Automatic flush system, The values mentioned of resistors near the TSOP sensors are exchanged (10K in place of 220E and vice versa).
As i assume, the kits are supplied with componenets but never tested later once you have a prototype.

May i just request you to assemble a fresh new piece of "ultrasonic Distance meter" and post here what problems you get? If it works, fine i'll buy it for sure. I have 3 kits of the same which never worked. I would be happy if you could make them work for me. By the way there were 3-4 componenet level problems and i have found the flaws but expect you to experience them too. The components supplied in the kit never worked. those are replaced and the kit is working.

By curiousity i have bought and assembled a "Microcontroller based heart rate meter" which too never worked. While enquiring the Kits n spares dealer, they said the said kit is obselute and no more available. So what can be done with my non working kit?

The project speed checker for highways will never work unless the Biasing resistors of the LDRs are re calculated and installed with new values, and this value will be different in every kit depending on the dark resistance of the LDR supplied. An average student will not be able to debug such design flaws.

The "Secured i button lock" will energise the relay by just touching the two wires going to the Button. Thus no need of a firmware, and thus no security. Try it out. I have the same kit in the said condition. Error messages of long beeps are working ok. A socket for the button may have supplied iwth the kit.

Project "water level controller" uses 5 volts for digital circuits as well 12 volts for the relay. Thus 2 points on the PCB needs to be connected to two different sources of power. While kits are released, the same may have modified and a regulator of 7805 may have used on board and thus making the kit work with single power supply of 12 volts. Too here the relay supplied is the sugar cube and this too may have incorporated on the pCB itself for comapactness.

You may too supply assembled tested projects instead selling just unassembled ones. In some cases the company or the dealers may be blamed if the project doesnt work. In this case it may be a way out to prove that the project is working and may be some problems exist in assembling part.
Hope you'll improvise with these sugessions.

Pranam

Last edited:

i think the day to day work and face new problems leads you a good electronic designer

As I see most of websites request money to access news and whole information.
I think eetimes is more useful to get lastest news for electronics.
Actually I need one more website like eetimes.Another websites you shared don't offer many news or they request money and subscription for reading whole news and info.

Try efytimes.com

hi sir i have assembed uC (89c2051) based ultrasonic distance meter published in efy.. Its not working and display shows random values can u plz help me i am stuck.I tried by changing transistor BC557 by bc547 but not works is there any problem in Common anode display driving or in IC LM324 op amp? plz help asap to me cause doin this as my mini project

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

which 3-4 components i have to replace or change to make uC (80c2051) based ultrasonic destance meter published in efy feb 2008 run? my mail id is
yog.kshirsagar@rediffmail.com
plz reply asap cause i have only 2days in my hand to make this work......

hi sir i have assembed uC (89c2051) based ultrasonic distance meter published in efy.. Its not working and display shows random values can u plz help me i am stuck.I tried by changing transistor BC557 by bc547 but not works is there any problem in Common anode display driving or in IC LM324 op amp? plz help asap to me cause doin this as my mini project

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

which 3-4 components i have to replace or change to make uC (80c2051) based ultrasonic destance meter published in efy feb 2008 run? my mail id is
yog.kshirsagar@rediffmail.com
plz reply asap cause i have only 2days in my hand to make this work......

Have you tried contacting EFY directly if they are not replying here.

https://electronicsforu.com/electronicsforu/Contact/

Have you tried contacting EFY directly if they are not replying here. https://electronicsforu.com/electronicsforu/Contact/
I have contacted them and they just say "We have tested the project in our lab and we have its working prototype" But the kit componenets are sorted and manufactured by associate company of EFY ie Kits n spares, and thus they just pack whatever the project requires. Thaz it. To submit a project to EFY, the author needs to send a prototype. Once the prototype is seen working, it is marketed as kit. Even i have seen the transformer which comes with the kits hardly gives out 100Ma whereas the kit requires a lot more than that. In some kist i worked were found ok when used 1A of better companies. The main culprit of the said kit is the firmware which is not upto expectations. If some one can re-write this in a better way, the project would be awsome.
Cheers

Dear Pranam77. Thanks for reply. The fact is that i have not actually purchased ultrasonic distance meter from kits n spares but made here in pune from the ckt dia., program and pcb layout gven in pdf. Can u plz tell me there is nothing to change in the hardware of this project? Not a single componenet? So I can concentrate on Firmware/program
cause i dont know problem is in firmware or hardware. If possible can u able to give me working .asm or .hex file of this project i will be very thankfull to you
I already had conversation with Kits n Spares new delhi office they told me Hardware and software is 100% working but i dont think so:)
Nice to have chat with u......

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

I have mailed my complaint on the link (efy site) which is posted here.
By the way i dont have a great deal of time and suppose to submit my mini project (ultrasonic distance meter) on monday and the project is not working at all so do me ur favour and plz tell me the problem is in hardware or firmware? No need to change a single component in hardware?

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Last edited:

Hey guys,
I also assembled 'ultrasonic distance meter' from EFY , but even random numbers does not appear on the display as it happened to yog007. It might be a hardware issue but i will assume it as a firmware until i test the hardware. Since i have no knowledge of assembly, a possible mistake could be occured during the copying process from the pdf file. If anyone has the .asm file of the project, could you please share it? (.hex file also works :)) Thanks.

Hi Pranam77,
Thanks for your feedback!

Surprised to see that you have collections of old and obsolete projects Kits'n'Spares had dropped long time back! We would like to make some few comments here.

Electronic Auto Dipper - This was published in 1985. Selling of the kit has been already discontinued.

Water level controller - It was published in 1988. Selling of the kit has been discontinued.

Microcontroller based heart rate meter - This project was working well but users have faced problem in making the T-tube contraption. So it has been discontinued.

Speed checker for highways - This project is still in stock with Kits'n'Spares. There is no problem with the kit. Most users exposed the LDRs to ambient lights and so the display show random number. Actually, LDRs should be covered in proper enclosures, such that leads are not exposed to ambient lights because they are light dependent resistors(LDR)! Only laser light beam should fall on them.

Secured digital system using iButton - This is still in stock with Kits'n'Spares. We agree that a socket for the iButton be supplied along with the kit. But we don't agree with the point that by shorting the leads of iButton you can open the lock. Here, a unique code of iButton is stored in the firmware/program. Unless you connect the data input terminal with iButton with same unique code as in the firmware, the lock will not open. Please try it again if the kit is still with you. If the lock is opened by shorting the leads, there is something wrong in your circuit connection.

Also, in actual application, this security system has to be installed behind(inside) the door or gate such that unauthorised persons are not accessible to tamper or damage the system from outside.

Lastly, we have assembled kits/prototypes for all the projects for demonstration purposes. Some assembled kits are made available to Kits’n’Spares dealers. You can also request for assembled kits from them. However, selling assembled kits to students are discouraged. If students began to submit assembled kits to colleges, then what is left for them to learn? Kits’n’Spares provide components, then students assembled them, in the process atleast they learn something, troubleshoot the problem and make the project work. After all, solving problem is part of engineering!

You are most welcome to write your suggestions/feedbacks to efylab@efyindia.com

hi efylab would you like to comment on ultrasonic distance meter project have u assembled and tested it at your end?

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

hi pranam77 would you like to comment on efylab post about ultrasonic distance meter project as mine still not working at all.

Hey guys, I also assembled 'ultrasonic distance meter' from EFY , but even random numbers does not appear on the display as it happened to yog007. It might be a hardware issue but i will assume it as a firmware until i test the hardware. Since i have no knowledge of assembly, a possible mistake could be occured during the copying process from the pdf file. If anyone has the .asm file of the project, could you please share it? (.hex file also works :)) Thanks.
Use a magnifier glass to see the track side of the PCB supplied and you may find miniute shorts somewhere near the displays where the tracks are too near. Next you may try varying the preset where the flicker should stop and give a steady reading. Try replacing the Ultrasonic modules as those are inferior quality supplied by Kits n spares. Use better quality ones available at local kit dealers. Next replace the power transformer which has hardly 100Ma of current which will not suffice for the satifactory working of the kit. Use 1Amp for best performance.

Surprised to see that you have collections of old and obsolete projects Kits'n'Spares had dropped long time back! We would like to make some few comments here.
Electronic Auto Dipper - This was published in 1985. Selling of the kit has been already discontinued.
Water level controller - It was published in 1988. Selling of the kit has been discontinued.

Suprised to know that you are not aware about the kits bieng sold even today. I have bills issued by Kits n spares with date and TIN numbers for both kits which i have purchased in last 2 months. I can upload it here for your and everyones reference.

Microcontroller based heart rate meter - This project was working well but users have faced problem in making the T-tube contraption. So it has been discontinued.
If the kit was working fine, KNS or EFY would have introduced assembled and tested kits of the same for some extra price. One may have cross reffered your working kit to make theirs work.

Speed checker for highways - This project is still in stock with Kits'n'Spares. There is no problem with the kit. Most users exposed the LDRs to ambient lights and so the display show random number. Actually, LDRs should be covered in proper enclosures, such that leads are not exposed to ambient lights because they are light dependent resistors(LDR)! Only laser light beam should fall on them..

Dark resistance of all the LDRs provided by KNS is the problem and i have worked with your kits since years. Its not a new kit for me any more. Exposing LDR to ambient light will trigger any one or both (Start or stop) of the timer in the system built arround 555 Timers in the front end, but will never result in display showing random numbers. Coudnt understand how your kit shows it.

Secured digital system using iButton - This is still in stock with Kits'n'Spares. We agree that a socket for the iButton be supplied along with the kit. But we don't agree with the point that by shorting the leads of iButton you can open the lock. Here, a unique code of iButton is stored in the firmware/program. Unless you connect the data input terminal with iButton with same unique code as in the firmware, the lock will not open. Please try it again if the kit is still with you. If the lock is opened by shorting the leads, there is something wrong in your circuit connection...

The kit works by mere shorting of the leads of the Ibutton. Just assemble a fresh kit and post the results here. Regarding hardware problems, i have debugged your kits more than what you expect. What problems you expect me to debug? I am not an engineering student to get convinced with "Some thing wrong with your assembling" Finally the designs must be altered, and i have done for some designs to make it work better.

Lastly, we have assembled kits/prototypes for all the projects for demonstration purposes. Some assembled kits are made available to Kits’n’Spares dealers. You can also request for assembled kits from them. However, selling assembled kits to students are discouraged. If students began to submit assembled kits to colleges, then what is left for them to learn? Kits’n’Spares provide components, then students assembled them, in the process atleast they learn something, troubleshoot the problem and make the project work. After all, solving problem is part of engineering!

Nice to know in a way efy and KNs makes students learn better..:))) LOL...Debugging design level problems by engineering students?...Ask anyone to read a color code and you'll hardly find 2 out of 100 in a right way...

You may put efforts to solve problems with "yog007" and "Greyjo" and for benefit of everyone, the discussion and solution may be continued on the open forum so that other members too can know whatz wrong with the project, kit or firmware.

Last edited:

i used to see a clause, if you have a problem , please contact us by mail, and if you are satisfied give us best ratingon ebay. if a face powder is found dangerous to you, we totally refund the cost , no consequential damages covered.

Likewise, the electronic magazines also. There is no point in discussing who is best. All these are in business, they make good money by ADs, Kits, publication. they boost the cost of kits. the print media "PRESS" has some facilities and they can influence the vested groups. the magazine publishers are no less.

Some mags publish articles around chips that belong to 2 to 3 decades before. we never get them. I am of the opinion that some mags publish sponcered projects in order to help blocked components sold as kits. Many projects, i fear, have issues, even though they claim that it was tested and certified. Some mags are careful to say that due to international variations , some parts may not be available.

finally in modern days, where the electronics and computer technology is growing leaps and bounds, most of these mags are lgging behind, still publishing articles around 555 and 741. I , with due respect agree thay are currently used. But there are much better devices.

I do agree that these kits can only help learn soldring skills, sorry .

I sincerely feel discussion on "the best mag" is relative to individuals and subect to their study levels. It is time we drop the topic.

we can just indicate so and so mag is available in market.

i used to see a clause, if you have a problem , please contact us by mail, and if you are satisfied give us best ratingon ebay. if a face powder is found dangerous to you, we totally refund the cost , no consequential damages covered.

Likewise, the electronic magazines also. There is no point in discussing who is best. All these are in business, they make good money by ADs, Kits, publication. they boost the cost of kits. the print media "PRESS" has some facilities and they can influence the vested groups. the magazine publishers are no less.

Some mags publish articles around chips that belong to 2 to 3 decades before. we never get them. I am of the opinion that some mags publish sponcered projects in order to help blocked components sold as kits. Many projects, i fear, have issues, even though they claim that it was tested and certified. Some mags are careful to say that due to international variations , some parts may not be available.

finally in modern days, where the electronics and computer technology is growing leaps and bounds, most of these mags are lgging behind, still publishing articles around 555 and 741. I , with due respect agree thay are currently used. But there are much better devices.

I do agree that these kits can only help learn soldring skills, sorry .

I sincerely feel discussion on "the best mag" is relative to individuals and subect to their study levels. It is time we drop the topic.

we can just indicate so and so mag is available in market.
Yes..i do agree 101% with you Sarma Sir. The particular kit "ultrasonic distance meter" will have one or the other flaw, may be in PCB or components, which makes it very difficult to debug. And these flaws are never the same for all kits. Every different kit will have different errors which makes debugging a real head ache. By the way efy has made me almost an expert, as i have managed to get all their kits working till date, and one kit which gave me maximum of 75 cms reading was the best ever kit i got. The video of the same is posted in the below link / attachment where a working prototype of the "ultrasonic distance meter" can be seen. The digits too can be seen varying as i vary the distance from the wall in front.
I have regular quarrels with my close friend who is a dealer in our city due to these poor efficiency and quality of kits, and he say, we just sell kits and we are not experts to guide you. You may contact KNS or EFY for support.
Cheers

Attachments

• Video0003.rar
    2 MB · Views: 56

I recommend "ELECTOR".

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend "ELECTOR".

is there any outlet in India for it my pal
In India you get indian version of Elektor which are available in all book stalls. You may also subscribe to Elektor uk edision on the web but postage charges to India will be more than the magazine i guess..

- - - Updated - - -

You are most welcome to write your suggestions/feedbacks
As an appreciation i have seen high quality PCB's for some kits from Kits n spares which is most welcomed. Keep it up and too would like to see improved quality not only in PCB's but also in all your kits too.
New flaw in one of your old kit "Cordless FM mike" is, Final transistor 2N2369A CDIL make is supplied is "DEAD OPEN" when measured from base to emitter. I have 5 of such kits which have common deffect with brand new transistor. Who has to be blamed, The Component supplier, Kit n spares, Your quality control section, Your engineers, The dealer who sold this, or me who bought this? Who will bear the cost of new transistors which cost 50/- rupees in our local market. Can you suggest me a solution for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back