Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best core type (material) for lowest size 50Hz 600VA transformer..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna Conda

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All, I am seeking the best core material available to minimise the size (and dissipation) of a 600VA 230Vac to 32Vac mains transformer 50Hz. Presumably some sort of tape wound C core construction?
If any one can point me to a manufacturer of such cores I would be highly appreciative.
Are there high performance cores (presumably 1.8 Tesla or higher) with reasonable losses out there?
Regards,
Anna.

Vacoflux-48 appears to be the best so far...!
2 Tesla peak easy and 2W/kg at 50Hz, 2T
allowing a xfmr half the size of conventional...

Also Supermendur, its seems that 48-50% cobalt (with a varying amount of other metals thrown in) is made by more than 3 manufacturers, all giving just >2 Tesla operation and core losses just over 2 watt / kg for 50Hz, 2T. And up to 0.35mm thickness lams, or tape wound cut cores (or not cut for very square B-H loops)
Some of these have been around for >10 years too...

I wonder if these highflux ferromagnetic materials are currently used for low frequency transformers? I read from the Vac web site that the cobalt alloys are mainly marketed for compact motors and generators. But I didn't yet stumble upon a transformer application.

The high-tech material for transformers is still grain oriented electrlcal steel. http://www.tkes.com/web2010/tkeswebcms.nsf/www/en_publikationen.html

Status
Not open for further replies.