Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginners questions about EEPROM and microprocessors

Status
Not open for further replies.

amneziak

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help about the eeprom

hello
i'm neophyte in the world of microprocessors so i want just to know about the x86 (pentium like).
In a simple board based microprocessor we can find an eeprom/ram/cpu and a PIO sometimes but when
we speek about real computers the PENTIUM or AMD or whatever else is the CPU the RAM is also like the Ram
on the board but what is the EEPROM that we stock our program in ?? is it the hard drive ?
if you can give me some links that can help me
thanks

Re: help about the eeprom

To the CPU, the harddisk is just another peripheral. The first-run program of the computer, is stored on the EEPROM. It is called the BIOS.

amneziak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
help about the eeprom

know that the bios is the eeprom of the CPU but when we write an assembler program on our PC and execute it the cpu reads our program from the hard drive so it's like the eeprom ?

Re: help about the eeprom

The EEPROM stores the first-running program. In this case, the BIOS is in-charge of detecting all devices (including the harddisk), and then run the first program on the harddisk. Portions of the program can be called up onto RAM, and the program is run from RAM. Some may be run direct from the harddisk.

In other words, a program can run from EEPROM/RAM/HDD, and with knoppix, even an entire linux OS can be run off a CD. Programs can be run off all kinds of memory. If you are similar to uP/uC programming, you would have heard of bootloaders, in which a program loads another program into RAM, and runs the program from RAM. The BIOS does a similar function. But the issue is that the entity that most resembles the EEPROM of a full computer system is the BIOS chip.

amneziak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
help about the eeprom

thanks very much man i start to understand the microprocessor basics

Status
Not open for further replies.