Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner question regarding IC chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyqneuron

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I'm a noob with electronics stuffs. I know the following may sound too ambitions for a beginner, but I'm very willing to learn whatever it takes. Here's my problem:

I am thinking of doing a wireless 6-axis motion tracker that connects to a USB port. I can find quite a lot of useful parts (the 6-axis motion tracker, MCU with builtin RF transceiver, independent RF transceiver, MCU with built-in USB controller and so on), but I'm an absolute noob with soldering/analog electronics and PCB stuffs. My question is:

1. How do amateur developers connect those tiny packages (say, 3x3 mm) with dozens of pins? I've got years of low-level programming experience so the protocols seem fine to me, but how do amateurs physically connect those pins? By soldering those tiny pins that can hardly be seen? Or by using Development Boards that are specific to each package and that connect those tiny pins to larger pins with greater space in between?

How do you guys connect those tiny packages?

Do you have an image or model number of the particular part? It might help in deciding the proper course of action

Hello hypneuron,

for connecting tiny packages (SMD) you need some special things:

1. Very good eyes and no shaking hands.
2. Eyeglasses with magnification or a magnifying glass. I use a watchmaker magnifying glass with 10 times magnification.
3. SMD glue to fix the device on board. **broken link removed**
4. A soldering iron with a small tip for SMD or a special SMD soldering iron
5. Tin solder for SMD (diameter 0,5mm or smaller)
6. Many, many patience and time :lol:

Now you can start your project.

Good luck

Regards

Rainer

I wouldn't recommend glueing. There are plenty of tutorials on soldering surface mount devices on the internet and on here. Also, search youtube for videos on how to do it.

For legless packages like QFN, if the board is just for you own use it helps to extend the pads beyond the device body.

Keith

Try to use Watch makers lens that gives more clearer view of the Chip be it any size

It never needs an experienced hand to work those out if you are willing to learn you can do so easily

Thanks guys for showing me the direction! I'll get that watchmaker magnifying glass and proceed with the other tutorials!

If you can afford it, one of those large magnifying lamps would be even better - it allows you to get a full view with both eyes with the board well lit. The good ones, with a wide aspheric lens, can be pricey though.

A soldering iron with a small tip, 0.3mm or lower, very fine solder and a flux pen will be useful, as will solder braid.

Keith

hyqneuron
You didnt mention about how are you going to get probably the most important part: The PCB which connects it to the rest of the circuit. A SMD component with dozens of pins is useless without a pcb. Are you going to make it yourself ?
If you are a total beginner as you said you may want to start with an assembled development board.
Start by learning how to make a simpler pcb and the go for smd with a manageable number of pins.
If you already know how to make a pcb but smd is a challenge, you can use a smd adapter which can be purchased or make. See this:
**broken link removed**
An adapter can be used even in a breadboard see this:
**broken link removed**

I am not endorsing or recommending any product here, just giving some examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.