Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner problem : help me to synchronize an ADC signal DATA with the FPGA clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
Thanks for your replies... FvM, I don't use DCO since I would want to minimize the line beetwen the analog board (with ADC) and the digital board (which receive only DATA form my 8 ADCs), so I don't need the DCO which is the echoed clock from ADC.

What is a FF controller ?

If I understand well, SERDES and recovery features can't be compatible with the stream from the ADC (header + 16 bits of data), or do I miss something... ?

I have to make a choice of architecture now, so what could be the conclusion for the clock source of the ADC ? and does the clock recovery system proposed by Analog Device could be used ?

Another question : The space between the digital board and the analog one is about 5cm, what sort of connector and cable could be fine to transfer LVDS lines ?

Thanks a lot for your help

What is a FF controller ?
That was "an external FF controlled by the FPGA".
For example you may use a D flip-flop clocked by a low-jitter 40MHz source. The input would be a 25% duty-cycle 10MHz signal generated by the FPGA (from the same clock), so that you can meet the Tcnvh requirement of the ADC.

The FF discussion was about achieving a low jitter start of conversion signal, but you didn't tell about your jitter requierements, in so far it's a purely theoretical discussion up to now.

The other point is the decoding of serialized data. I see two options with Arria FPGA:
- Using SERDES in logic cells, driven by DCO, no receiver PLL. A simple, straightforward method.
- Using Arria dedicated hardware SERDES, which is always driven by a PLL. Arria can do this with a single PLL for 8 ADCs, if the internal clock is used rather than DCO. DPA functionality with the specific ADC frame must be checked, I guess, it can still work.

For the connector, any standard with an differential impedance around 100 ohm can work. For short distance even a standard 0.1" pin header with IDC cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back