Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

beginner in EM design

Status
Not open for further replies.

neils_arm_strong

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
em software + antennas + zeeland

Hi all,
I am new to electromagnetic design using software.
I want to learn about antennas .So please tell me which software is best suited for beginners like me.(I am studying this subject at present)

What do you want to study? What do you want to design? The topic of electromagnetic design using software is very broad. I think a better question to ask is: "I want to design [X]. What software tools are available that could help me with this?"

For a lot of design applications, you don't even need electromagnetic software. It really depends on what you want to design.

--Max

Thanks for your reply.

I would say that you could benefit greatly from a high frequency EM analysis software, but which tool is right for you will depend on the type of antennas you want to simulate.

If you are designing patch antennas or other planar antennas, I think it is most efficient for you to consider a planar EM simulator. Many exist, just look up 2.5D or 3D Planar EM software on Google or similar (or look through the many posts on this forum).

If you have a more 3D antenna, like a helix or a waveguide antenna, then you should look at the full 3D EM software tools. For antenna problems, many people prefer the time domain 3D analysis techniques because they offer natural broadband simulation performance, and are often more efficient in computer resources required for accurate analysis (though this is not necessarily strictly true).

Finally, if you have an antenna that uses wire elements (or long, thin metal rods), I think you will find the NEC type codes (wire scattering Moment Method codes) to be most efficient for handling this type of problem.

Like I said, the best answer for you depends on your antenna application. I don't think one software tool can come close to handling all antenna design and analysis problems.

--Max

maxwellian said:
Thanks for your reply.

I would say that you could benefit greatly from a high frequency EM analysis software, but which tool is right for you will depend on the type of antennas you want to simulate.

And do you know if FEKO is very suitable for simulating a satellite antenna (conical horn+reflector) in Ku-Band, using MoM on the horn and UTD or PO on the reflector ?

Thanx

I will reccomend CST because ease of use and accuracy.

Zeeland is also power and very simple to use.

Regards

I'm fairly new to EM also. I've been learning to use HFSS. I believe this is a standard software widely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back