Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner - Couldn't get the P-Channel MOSFET turned ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

devonsc

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I was trying to turn ON the P-Channel MOSFET and has been following the test conditions given in the datasheet. By the way, it is a logic MOSFET.

Am I right to say that the following is what I need to do to turn ON the P-Channel MOSFET? Mind correcting if I'm wrong? Thanks in advance...

a.) Apply 5V to the Gate.
b.) Gnd the Drain.
c.) 5V to the Source.

Am I suppose to be able to turn ON the MOSFET and obtain a zero voltage drop across Drain and Source in this way?

Thanks a lot in advance. Advice needed.

no this will not turn on the transistor "p channel"
to get the drain connected to source apply 0 vlot ot gnd to the gate
if u apply 5 v on the gate this turn of the device

i wish this help

khouly

I see, thanks. Will try testing again.

But, does it work in this manner? Say, for N-Channel MOSFET =>

Applying 12V to the Drain and 5V to the Gate and Gnd the Source. Then, 12-5 = 7V. And if 7V is higher than the threshold voltage, it turns ON, else, it doesnt?

Hi devonsc,

It doesn't work this way, to turn on an nmos or a pmos, you don't need to consider gate to drain voltage, only gate to source voltage matters for turning on and off both types, so:

Vgs > Vth -----> nmos turns on
Vgs < Vth -----> pmos turns on

Know that there are limits to the voltages that you can use, depending on the technology, so make sure you know these. Good luck with electronics.

N- and P-MOS are complementary. Think of the physics that makes them work.

Generally, N-MOS are made on a P-doped substrate. So to make them work, you create an inversion layer just on the silicon surface beneath ther gate. To make so, the Gate-source potential must be positive. That is why your N-MOS works when you apply a Vgs=5V. The Vds voltage only gives you the amount of current going through the channel.

For a P-MOS, generally made on an N-doped substrate, you need to apply a negative Vgs in order to create an inversion layer on top of the silicon. To make current flow through the channel, you also need a negative Vds. If you apply a positive Vds, you'll forward bias the drain-body diode.

Remember, think always in terms of the materials used to make the tranaistors and the physiscs behind.

I don't like all that negative notation, so I learned from a professor to do everything in terms of positive quantities.

Let's say you went to a magical foundry where they tell you
the threshold voltage for the NMOS is 0.6v and for the PMOS is -0.9v ( negative 0.9 volts ) ... the K' for the NMOS is 100uA/V² and for PMOS is 30uA/V²...
... on my sheet of paper, I'd take the magnitudes and write
VTHN = 0.6v
Kn' = 100 uA/V²
VTHP = 0.9v
Kp' = 30 uA/V²
so then when figuring out currents, neglecting output impedance and assuming I'm in pinch-off / ( mosfet ) saturation / active-mode I'd write their respective equations as
Inmos ~ ½ * ( W / L ) * Kn' * ( Vgs - VthN )²
and similarly:
Ipmos ~ ½ * ( W / L ) * Kp' * ( Vsg - VthP )²
Notice I write VGS for nmos ( gate minus source voltage ) and VSG for pmos ( source minus gate voltage )!

If you draw a PMOS where the source is an arrow pointing in the direction of the gate ( ie not with the body drawn ) or
Code:
PMOS:

S
       |
       |
    |<--
    |
 G -|
    |---
       |
       |
       |
      D
Then you just have to forward bias the SOURCE-TO-GATE DIODE, or in other words, have the source higher in voltage than the gate. The opposite / complement to nmos.

The ">" is pointing towards the cathode of a diode, it's a diode symbol, just subtley different!
Code:
DIODE:

anode ---|>|--- cathode
Draw an NMOS and PMOS in this manner and take a little time to convince yourself biasing the diodes properly makes sense. It does!

^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.