Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginers Guide to SoC Design, FPGA Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-Dog

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, can anyone give me some good references/links/books for information on designing systems that consist of a CPU core, with functionality implemented around the CPU (such as ethernet controller, hard disc controller), that are implemented on an FPGA.

I am unsure of the number of macrocells a typical FPGA has, and the macrocells required to implement an 8051 core. How would you go about developing software for the 8051 core?

Many thanks

Check this link:
http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/xgrayjan.htm#1915

There you will find the 3 parts serie of articles from CircuitCellars:
"Building a RISC System in an FPGA"
Part 1: Tools, Instruction Set, and Datapath
Part 2: Pipeline and Control Unit Design
Part 3: System-on-a-Chip Design

BTW, usually definition "macrocell" is used for CPLD, FPGA's logic block is referred as a CLB (Configurable Logic Block).

Cheers!

Ace-X.

You can try "Nios". This is a "soft" 16/32bit CPU developed by @ltera. It only need 1000-2000 LE.
The most important thing is: It has enough documents,software tools ,
and it is fully tested. Of course,MicroBlaze,a soft CPU from Xilinx, is another good choice.
I don't suggest you to use those free CPU core if you have a real project to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back