Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beamwidth of array antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ping-pong

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am working on the design of array antennas. I have studied using arrays will increase the directivity if they are properly placed . but what is the effect on the beam-width. whether it incraeses or decreases or remains the same. I havent find any reference about it. Kindly provide some useful information as well as some link about it. waiting an early reply.

The beam width is the product of the individual antenna pattern and the "array factor" shape. You can calculate the array factor shape by having point sources at the locations of the individual antennas and doing the simple algebra. One thing to keep in mind is that each antenna has a "capture area" and putting them close enough for these areas to overlap will reduce the total gain from the maximum possible and also widen the beam width. Gain and beam width are related.

how to calculate the array factor for each individual antenna. and also if the antennas are placed in such a way that there is no decrase in gain than what will be the effect on beam-width. Kindly provide me some link on it so that I can study in a bit detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back