Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BCH codes; Minimum Polynomials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josie12

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey,

I need help finding the generator polynomial for a BCH code.

I have been going through a fair few pages over the internet to learn about BCH codes.
Basically the information i have so far is that to get the generator matrix i must consider the roots (nth root of unity).
The generator matrix is the LCM(m(1),m(2),...m(i),...m(2t)) Where m(i) is the minimum polynomial of the root.
All the sites i have looked at have kind of glossed over the minimum polynomials. How do I work these minimum polynomials out?

example in real/complex:
given 0+i as the element in the extension field (complex), find a minimal polynomial with coefficients in the base field (real). The math will all be done in the extension field (complex) -- only the coefficients of the polynomial as restricted to elements from the base field (real).

One polynomial that has 0+i as a root would be x(x+1)(x^2 +1). This is a 4th degree polynomial. However, it is clear that x(x^2+1), a degree 3 polynomial also has 0+i as a root. Further, (x^2+1) has 0+i as a root. (x - i) is a polynomial of lower order that has 0+i as a root, but it doesn't have all of its coefficients in the base field ( -i is complex). Thus (x^2+1) is a minimal polynomial for 0+i.

This also works for galois fields.

Another related concept is "monic". where (x^2 + 1) and 2x^2 + 2 both have 0+i as a root, "monic" will select the polynomial that has a coefficient of 1 (a concept that exists in any field) as the coefficient of the highest order term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back