Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Charging using another one

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballimo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

can a Rechargeable battery (1) be charged using another battery(2) with a voltage equal to the charging voltage of battery (1)?

Thanks,

Ballimo

Hello ballimo,
The charging of battery depends on charging voltage, charging current and battery type.If i want to charge a 6v battery the charger will give me 7.5v but the current will be in mA depending on the battery amps. Here in your case the other battery can give you full voltage but what about the current .In the charger there is circuit for current control which will not be in your case.

Hello All,

can a Rechargeable battery (1) be charged using another battery(2) with a voltage equal to the charging voltage of battery (1)?

Thanks,

Ballimo

Fundas indicate that current is the effect of wired path between two dis-similar potentials
Thus it is not possible to charge a battery of 12V (if 12V is there on that, with another battery of 12v.
however , if there is such a need, the battery used as source has to be boosted to a higher level as needed, and the boosted supply fed to a charging control system and to the load (battery to be charged).

Hello Sk1, Mvs Sarma,

I was asking this question because I was not sure that a DC voltage (supplied by a battery or linear regulator) can charge a battery; most of the battery charger in the market are AC to DC converter, so I guess the DC output is not perfect it will contain some ripple; I was wondering if this ripple is needed to charge the battery?

so can a perfect DC source recharge a battery (for sure we will have to add a current control)? does this depend on the battery type? do you have any document you can share?

Thanks,

Ballimo

Ballimo. I am also looking for the same answer. I want to charge a DC battery from another DC , how?

you can do that, the only condition is to have a DC charge voltage higher that the battery DC voltage; you can download the battery datasheet where you can find the charging characteristic. NOTE: you will also need to add some circuit monitoring for the battery, to prevent overcharging...

A perfect DC source can charge a battery ; The reason that most commercial battery chargers have a large AC component is the cost to rectify and "smooth" the AC signal

Hi all,

As you all know a battery(like Li-Ion,NiCd or Lead Acid) has a very low impedance(say <200 milli ohms).So it will be disastrous if you connect a DC source directly to a battery which can cause gasing.

If you can maitain a fixed impedance at the DC source and it's potential is above the battery potential that particular source can be used to charge the battery.
Eventhough its not a standard method like CC-CV(constant current- constant voltage) its reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back