Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery charging circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

seneda

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I designd a AC-DC converter 12v, 2Amps. connected to battery(12v, 1.3Ah). Once if its charge completely it should be auto turnoff and reccharge again for a period of some time. help me out.

Look at the average output voltage the AC-DC converter over a fixed time, when it reaches 12V, cut off a switch in the charging path. To do this, I think, all nodes of the circuit have to be dominantly first order to make sure that the switch is not cut off due to second order ringings.

Your 12V converter will be unable to charge the battery further after battery voltage has risen to 12V.

Can you make your converter go up to 14.5 V, at least?

Your 12V converter will be unable to charge the battery further after battery voltage has risen to 12V.

Can you make your converter go up to 14.5 V, at least?

Actually, The battery is connected to a GSM Board always while its charging. so the battery will discharge.once if its charge it should auto cut off.help me

I designd a AC-DC converter 12v, 2Amps. connected to battery(12v, 1.3Ah). Once if its charge completely it should be auto turnoff and reccharge again for a period of some time. help me out.

just use a relay to switch out the battery when its charged up, then have a micro periodically switch it back in to sense if its self discharged a long way. I presume it is lithium battery?. All batteries will self discharge and go flat eventually, even if never used in circuit.

First identify which type battery it is and how much current it takes after full charge.
Measure the terminal voltage and current through the battery. When the battery is fully charged it takes less current and the terminal voltage rise 12v.
switch off the MosFET.

Once if its charge completely it should be auto turnoff and reccharge again for a period of some time. help me out.

Sounds like a similar concept as my simple charge controller. I built this in hardware and it successfully charged golf cart batteries from solar PV panels. You might be able to adapt it to suit your purposes.

The charger turns on and off by hysteresis. It does not taper the charge rate.

1) The transistor stays turned on until the battery reaches 14.4V. Then it turns off.

2) The battery is not necessarily fully charged. Its volt level settles downward for the next few minutes.

3) When it drops to 13.4V. The transistor turns on again.

4) The battery receives charge again for a few minutes, then is off.

5) The cycle repeats. Eventually the battery absorbs a full charge.

LED's indicate whether the circuit is idle or charging.

Zener value is not critical. It can be a range of values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back