Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery backup for vehicle tracking system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikashh

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,
I want to integrate battery backup with my vehicle tracking system. Does anybody have ever worked in this project.please share your experience...Also is Li-Ion is better than Ni-Cd battery in such systems as a backup supply.
the battery backup should be of atleast 2hrs.

thanks in advance.

bikashh

I already worked with alarm system.
However, the other battery was not used like backup, but stand alone, receiving a soft charge became from the main battery, just by 2 power diodes.

You did not specified power consumption , but just autonomy required.
I used a motorcycle battery ( 7,2Ah - 12V ) that is easy to buy in every place.

+++

But if i use any other type of battery other than Li-Ion, voltage won't be stable which is quite important for a GSM/GPS module.

I've designed a Li-Ion battery charger circuit around MAX1811.Can i use this charger to charge 3 Li-Ion battery?

thanks for the reply

bikashh

I never worked w/ that IC.

Note that a motivation I decided to use the automotive battery was the possibility to use the same vehicle charger circuitry.
In fact, the main battery loads the alamr battery, across 2 series diodes.

The voltage curve of lead-acid battery is well known, and it is easy to determine charge status.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back