Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery backup for my router

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamsuperuser

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a asus router with a power rating of 19V @ 1.58A max for which I need battery backup for 1~2 hrs daily because of power outages.

Now I have 12V 7AH exide battery of an old ups which still works.
I also have a 12V 2A power adapter and a universal laptop charger which provide variable voltage from 15V to 18V at 4A and from 20V to 24V at 3A.

There are many lead cell charging circuits out there, BUT all of them are designed to output 12V where as I need 19V for my router.

I was using THIS circuit earlier .

Can somebody please modify the circuit in the above link to output at 19V.

Thanks in advance.

I guess the laptop charger takes power from 220VAC? So you cannot use it to get 19V from the 12V battery?

It appears you need a step-up converter. Simple projects include:

* voltage multiplier, capacitor based

* boost converter, inductor based

Whichever type of converter, expect it to draw 3A from your 12V battery, if you want 19V at 1.5A.

A nominal supply voltage of 19 V doesn't mean that the device actually needs 19V. I would check what's the minimal voltage for regular operation.

A nominal supply voltage of 19 V doesn't mean that the device actually needs 19V. I would check what's the minimal voltage for regular operation.

@FvM
My router is always running at maximum power with a 1Tb external drive and about 7 devices connected across a two storey building, So i would say the router is drawing max power which is 19V @ 1.58A

I am using a ready made board based on XL6009 to convert 12V to 19V. Just make a google search for it

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=x...l2.4487j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

@vigyanabikshu
May I know how exactly did you implement this board with a 12V battery as a battery backup to your router ??

I guess the laptop charger takes power from 220VAC? So you cannot use it to get 19V from the 12V battery?

It appears you need a step-up converter. Simple projects include:

* voltage multiplier, capacitor based

* boost converter, inductor based

Whichever type of converter, expect it to draw 3A from your 12V battery, if you want 19V at 1.5A.

Thank you guys, for all your prompt replies.

As I mentioned in the first post i already used a circuit to charge my 12v battery for an older router.

Below is the new layout , i just need your help in modifying the circuit components to suit my new router's power requirements.

2qtzmhk.png

Looks like you didn't even read the user's manual. It says, the device can be supplied with 12V/2A as well.

Looks like you didn't even read the user's manual. It says, the device can be supplied with 12V/2A as well.

U r right must have skipped me, I just saw it under notes in the manual.

But how does this help my situation ???

Ok Guys I think i have the components but i cannot really make a schematic , So pls help

1. 12V 2A dc adapter
2. **broken link removed**
3. Some 1N5408 Diodes and DC Barrel Jack connectors
4. 12V 7AH exide ups battery

I'm confused on how to implement the diodes.

So please give me a schematic on how to make a workable battery backup for my 19V ~ 1.58A asus rt-n66u router with above elements.

Thanks in Advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back