Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery backup circuitry

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd9

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I need help with this battery backup. I am using a DPDT relay here to detect the on-off of power supply. When there is power, the LM340 steps down the voltage to 5V and the battery is getting charged. I am using 4X 1.2 V NiMH battery (2600mAH) cells. I want the output to be always between or equal to 12V and 4.8 V even when there is power or no power. When I test this circuit, the voltage drop across R2 is around 9V and I am getting output voltage of around 2.66 V. So, I removed resistor R2 and shorted the connection. Now i get voltage drop for R1 = 5.4 V and the output voltage to be 11.21 V but the batteries start getting overcharged. So can anyone please guide me here? thank you very much for the help.

Thank you Kak111. So, for the 2nd circuit diagram, I should use the same battery charger circuit that I have and then use two relays..Right?

Thanks once again!

Let me explain.............

Circuit 1.
(Battery charger is your LM340 circuit )
- when +12Vdc is available it is charging battery via diode and output is Ucharger
minus voltage drop in diode ( 0.7...0.8V). ie. output voltage is Ucharge.
- 12V not available , output voltage is Ubattery.

Circuit 2.
- when +12Vdc is available, LM340 is charging battery via diode and relay is ON
and connect output to +12Vdc
- 12V not available , relay is OFF and connect output to battery

( Circuit is drawn when there is no 12V input .)

Or do I have some misunderstanding with your needs

Regards KAK

Reactions: pd9

pd9

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
No..you are not misunderstanding anything. Only thing is that I want to use a 5V relay. So I will have to step down power somehow..so the relay can take it?

Thank you.

And also, a diode needs to be added in parallel to the relay coil to dissipate the current

Status
Not open for further replies.