Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic USB protocol implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunkumar1989

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
Is there any basic protocol i can follow so that i can send data through USB?
I read papers about them but none can give me a clear picture.

Something of this format:

RS232-
Idle START d0,d,d2,d3,d4,d5,d6,d7 PARITY STOP IDLE
0 1 DATA(1 byte) 1 1 1

I am able to communicate using standard rs232 protocol,but cannot do it using USB.(type data in hyperterminal and recieve it on my uC(display through ))
I figured its not as simple as just giving the initialization commands to uC and start writing/reading from TxD/RxD.

I am using AT89c51 to test my protocol. I have a freescale K60 seriees uC which has a USB controller in built,on which i plan to test my USB protocol.

Thanks in advance :)
Arun

Apparently you need to learn about USB basics. May be a starting point **broken link removed**

To connect with Hyperterminal, you'll need to implement a CDC device on an USB enabled microprocessor. Most microcontroller vendors have example code for it.

P.S.: USB uses in fact an UART like bit protocol (sligthly different though) on the phsysical layer. Bu that's not the protocol level you are dealing with in USB programming.

Last edited:

Thanks for that link.I'll read up and get back in here.

- - - Updated - - -

I did some reading but i am still confused as to where exactly to begin with the programming.If you have a sample code(or a proteus simulation) that i can look up it would help me understand it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back