Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic soldering question

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I guess we normally use Sn63 or Sn62 solders to perform soldering on copper wires. These solders have mixture of tin (Sn) and lead (Pb) and some silver (Ag) if it is Sn62. I guess we can use them normal soldering on copper wires. How about if the wire to solder is made of silver instead of copper ? How to solder on silver wires ?

a good solder joint is a good mechanical joint making good contact,
with the solder there to hold it together, not to make the contact

i know no reason you can't use regular solder on silver wire

i believe there is something called silver solder - a long ago roommate used it to solder silver wire into jewelry
he used a small torch to melt the silver solder, to hold silver wire bent into a ring, together

This means it is possible to solder with Sn63 or with Sn62 on silver wires.

Hi,

I worked a couple of years in a high frequency company which produces cavity filters. Due to the skin effect and to ensure good electrical conductivity the surface of those filters are coated with silver. Therfore we used mainly S-Sn60Pb38Cu2 solder, which worked fine.

greets

The main purpose of Cu or Ag alloying elements is to avoid dissolving of solder tool and conductor metal surfaces. It has been already used with classical SnPb alloy and became more important with modern Pb free solder.

In many countries, SnPb usage is banned for consumer goods.

Just to be clear.

This means it is possible to use Sn63Pb37 or Sn62Pb36Ag2 to solder multi thread copper wires as well as silver wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.