Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic saftey question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've only ever tinkered with 5v bits and pieces and I don't know enough about electronics to do much more.
I was looking for a 9v battery and found a mains plug for an old telephone device.
According to the label, the input is 240v and the output is 9v (200mA).
Does this make it "safe" for me to rewire for my purposes, even if I connect it incorrectly?
By rewire I mean remove the connector at the end and hard wire to a motor, not mess with the plug pack.

Relic said:
I've only ever tinkered with 5v bits and pieces and I don't know enough about electronics to do much more.
I was looking for a 9v battery and found a mains plug for an old telephone device.
According to the label, the input is 240v and the output is 9v (200mA).
Does this make it "safe" for me to rewire for my purposes, even if I connect it incorrectly?
By rewire I mean remove the connector at the end and hard wire to a motor, not mess with the plug pack.
if you want to do only that, I really see no safety problems. Just pay attention to disconnect the device before working on it and pay attention to proper polarity (which wire is + and which is -).

If you use it on a motor, check out the power (current) requirement before connecting. If the motor draw to much current you may fry you wall wart.

Do check that the output is DC not AC.

TOK ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.