Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic resistor/capacitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlcarl2

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if you have 9 volt power supply (basic 9v battery) and I have like a R 6.8k 1% (all resistors are 1%) and C 1pf 2% (all capacitors are 2%) when I buy them, am i buying 1/4,1/2,....? Watts? Thanks

The power rating, etc. should be in the part specifications. What power rating you need depends on your application. Are you asking what you *need* to buy based on your application? The percent tolerance that you are stating does not necessarily have anything to do with the power rating.

Best regards,
\[v_c\]

Thanks for the reply. I guess based on using a standard 9v battery, do i need to buy 1/8 , 1/4, 1/2watt ones or more to be safe and work??? I think i will have an output max of 1 watt.

The power dissipated in the resistor can easily be worked out. It depends on the current passing hrough it and the voltage across it.

Ohms law states: Volts = current(Amps) times Resistance (ohms), or

V = I * R;

Power in Watts = V * I;

If you have 9 Volts across 6k8.

I = V/R
I = 9/6800
I = ~ .001

Watts = V * I;

Watts = 9 * 9 / 6800;
Watts = (V squared) / 6800;

The reciprical being

Watts = (I squared) * R;

Power can be worked out using the current or the voltage

W = (I squared) * R;
W = (V squared) / R;

Your 6k8 resistor with 9 volts across it will be dissapating less than 10 milli Watt or less than 1/100 of a Watt.

As far as the caps go, for small signal purposes, you just need to worry that they meet or exceed the working voltage.

it is power rating,check out ur specification n get it

Status
Not open for further replies.