Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic question on PNP as switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a simple problem lots of people make when coming to grips with PNP Transistors.

I find asking yourself is current flowing in the diode part of the transistor? often helps you understand why a transistor is or isn't turning on.

In your first circuit you would expect a potential difference of 7v from Vs to the output pin of the microcontroller (5v). Hence current will flow through the diode on the pnp transistor turning it on, which would turn the led on.

I like the circuit Gorgon suggested using a NPN to drive the pnp. This circuit demonstrates one important use of a NPN transistor - the Common Emitter Configuration. This configuration allows Voltage translation and inversion (for lack of a better terms).

Hope this helps.

oddbudman

change my design to using NPN.

the npn used is: the NPN i'm using is https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N4401.pdf

(equivalent to the PNP previously).

when MCU output is 5V, the current pumping into Base is:
\[ I_b = \frac{5V-0.75V}{3K9}=1.08mA\]
-> enough to saturate while still satisfying \[I_{OH} \]of the MCU pin - which is 2mA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.