Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic differences in using N and P type MOSFETs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyfrom7up

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I totally do not get anything about transistors, but I think I'm probably going to be using MOSFET for my projects.

Can someone tell me what the N type is, P type, difference between depletion and enhancment, how to hook them up in a schematic, what does certain thing mean in a data sheet such as Vgs and stuff like that. I also want to know how much voltage to put where, if I need resistors, does the voltage have to be negative, ect.

In short I want to know how to use, and buy (and it working what I want it to do) MOSFET's.

Re: MOSFET?

Just a simple rule of Thumb:

N-Type- Needs a positive gate-to-source supply voltage (VGS) to turn on the FET
P-Type- Needs a negative gate-to-source supply voltage (VGS) to turn on the FET

Look in the datasheet for VGS_TH for the gate-to-source threshold voltage.

Guyfrom7up

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thankyou! That was the type of straight forward answer I needed! What's the difference between depletion and Enhancment tho?

in depletion mode a channel is already present and its width is controlled to control current... in enhancement mode channel is formed and then current controlled....

I thought MOSFETs were controlled by voltage, not current? So is depletion like normally on switch and turns off when you apply voltage to it? And is the opposite true for enhancment?

i meant the controlling of the drain current using the gate voltage.....

Status
Not open for further replies.