Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic AM radio Recievers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGB

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a hobby project I am experimenting with basic medium wave AM radio receivers and have had some success with an Op Amp radio from a circuit I found on the web. It is made using a MC 1458 dual op amp, with one element for the radio and the other as amplifier. It works fine with basic headphones but my problem is when I try additional amplifier circuits of various types they all suffer from severe distortion and “motor boating” noise.
I would like to know what may be going wrong and how to add extra amplifier stages to drive a small speaker.
I would prefer, for interest sake to make the amps. From op amps or individual transistors if possible.

Cheers
DGB

What is basic: single tuned circuit with diode, superheterodyne, zero IF, etc?

Your circuit is a Direct Amplification type receiver most probably similar with the one below:
http://www.ece.mtu.edu/labs/EElabs/EE3305/AM_receiver.pdf

This kind of receivers suffer because the get a lot of gain from different stages working on the same frequency, and parasitic loops could appear.
Layout, especially using a short and solid ground is mandatory.
Good quality decoupling capacitors on the power supply is also important. There should be used lower and relative high values in parallel.

Just for your information, the simplest superheterodine receiver will work better than most complex direct amplification receiver.

Reactions: DGB

DGB

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your helpful reply.
I have downloaded the PDF file and will try and build the circuit described.

Cheers,

DGB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back