Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BandSolve for metallic pbg

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikhust

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bandsolve

Does any body try to calculate metallic photonic band structures using BandSolve? If so, did you see plasmon bands in H polarization?

Thank you.

bandsolve problems can not open output file

I have used bandsolve for the band calculation of metallic structures. And I have observed those plasmon bands.

full wave rsoft, surface plasmon

Hi!
Did you use BandSolve with combination of Fullwave?

Because, as I saw, BandSolve based on plane wave method which is suitable only in the case of very small filling fraction (say f<10%).

Thanks.

fullwave index file .ind

yes. In fact, using bandsolve with fullwave is the only way to simulate the band structures of metals.

plasmonics simulation fdtd example rsoft

Hi irfan1!
It seems that you have experience in FDTD and PBG.
I would like to ask you : do you have experience in absorbing boundary conditions such PML or UPML. Because, I am trying to apply such BC to dispersive materials (like metals).

Thanks.

rsoft fdtd examples

well, I dont have much experience in FDTD. But as far as I know, in Fullwave, metals can not touch the boundaries

solver drude photonic crystal

OK. Thanks.
But I meaned that UPML BC use D-H scheme. I use (in my code recursive convolution to include Drude model into FDTD), so I have some doubts how to include BC into my code.
But in any case thanks for reply.

rsoft dispersion example

irfan1 said:
I have used bandsolve for the band calculation of metallic structures. And I have observed those plasmon bands.

irfan1/mikhust

Would you mind giving me a little more detail how you setup the structure in Fullwave. Thanks in advance.

pcf+dispersion+rsoft

Dear Sassyboy,
As a starting point you can check the examples provided by Rsoft. There are so many examples. You ll particularly find fullwave and bandsolve examples very usefull. In fullwave most of the structure properties are parametrized. Open one of the example files, then right click any object and observe the feature's parameters. Then check the "symbols" tab.

irfan1 said:
Dear Sassyboy,
As a starting point you can check the examples provided by Rsoft. There are so many examples. You ll particularly find fullwave and bandsolve examples very usefull. In fullwave most of the structure properties are parametrized. Open one of the example files, then right click any object and observe the feature's parameters. Then check the "symbols" tab.

I have studied the examples, but all the bandsolve examples involve periodic dielectric and infinite in extend photonic crystal, until at the end it gives a couple of examples on PC slab. I will certainly give it one more thorough read. However, I was wondering if you would upload a project file of square-shaped metallic element array arrange periodically in square lattice on a thin substrate, and model its dispersion characteristics as unit-cell. Something similar would do. I have tried setup this model before, but there are some parameters or setting in fullwave and bandsolve that I am still very puzzle of.

Await your further advice. Thank you!

I havent done any slab simulation. But I can walk you through setting up a metallic pbg simulation. open the file :\RSoft\examples\BandSOLVE\pbgrect.ind . This file is already set up for fdtd bandstructure simulation. We need to choose a dispersion model first. For metals it is best to choose drude model. This is the default dispersion model for metals in Fullwave. We also need to inform the solver for material dispersion. To do so click the global settings, and check the Dispersion/Nonlinearity. Now let us set the material properties. First, we need to set a reference wavelength. Set a reference wavelength in Global Settings. For this you will need to calculate the imaginary and real part of the dielectric constant at the reference wavelength. You can use the drude dispersion formula for this purpose (You will also need the plasma frequency and the damping coefficient for the metal you want to simulate). After all, you ll go to the simulation tab. In the simulation tab be sure to check Sim Method option to FDTD. Thats all

Thank you for that! Although I thought you were referring to metallic PBG as array of metallised element arrange on a finite substrate sometimes known as the high-impedance surface. In fact I now realise you were referring to infinite extend metallic rods. Anyway, I learn something new today.

Why don't you use PBG Cells in HFSS?

One like to try all kind of software package (or fullwave techniques) to solve one exact problem. In this post the user is concentrated on the BandSolve for PBG problem. Hence, I think it is appropriate to discuss only on BandSolve. However, many of us do realise the capability of HFSS+Optimetrics in solving PBG problems. I have great confidence with them.

I wonder how you calculate band structures by using HFSS and optimetrics. It would be nice to compare the accuracy and speed of HFSS and Bandsolve

For general infinite in extent PBG structure found in the textbook by Joannopoulos, speed and accurary in BandSolve was certainly the winner. But when the structure is bounded by metal planes top or bottom or both, the BandSolve (PWE method) is replaced by the Fullwave (FDTD method). This tends to take a longer time to setup parameters correctly, it is this I found HFSS+Optimetrics has the edge over Rsoft's products.

Regarding the technique of using HFSS+Optimetrics for PBG study, well it is quite straight forward assumming the users are familiar with the periodic boundary conditions, eigenmodes modelling and parametric study.

do you have any reading material or tutorial on this issue?

I have heard of materials on the simulation of PBG in HFSS+Optimetrics. However, I never got hold of any of these materials. I used variety of commercial packages and had in the past been given advice by some company's technical support team. Then when I come to use the licensed Ansoft packages, I was able to asked technical queries. Plus I met their guys during a conference and was given further help.

There are a few publications published by Ansoft's guys. Two main guys who know a lot on PBG are I. Bardi and R. Remski. Try searching on the web of the phrase like "Remski PBG". In fact I have just done it for you. I obtained the following results:

1. **broken link removed**
2. **broken link removed**

There are more search results, but some links are dead. I hope this help!

Dear friends:
I am interested in modelling PCF using FDTD. I have an important question.
I want to calculate the effective index using FDTD program. A lot of papers say that we must take fst fourier transform to the output of the FDTD program then getting effective index. Could you explain to me how to get effective index from FDTD program?

Dear All,

I am pretty new to Bandsolve and Fullwave. In the lab, we have a Fullwave, and I want to simulate Silicon PC under the range of THz. I have a simple question, the Rsoft people suggest us to buy a Bandsolve. What's the advantage of Bandsolve over Fullwave?

Thank you guys very much in advance.:D

zhu_yan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back