Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Bandgap voltage variation with load

Status
Not open for further replies.

xplorin

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to design a bandgap circuit. For small loads, my bandgap circuit is working fine over all corners and the bandgap voltage remains the same.
With small loads the bandgap variation with temperature is only 5mV i.e., vbg ranges from 734.5mV to 739.8mV. As the load is increased, bandgap voltage drops by a large amount and there is a huge variation in the bandgap voltage with temperature. is this because of any leakage from gate to body or Something?........kindly help me to sort out this issue.

The plots are given inthe attachments

Thanks & Regards

Attachments

• high_load.png
    high_load.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 112
  • bandgap_ckt.png
    bandgap_ckt.png
    466.5 KB · Views: 130
  • low-load.png
    low-load.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 126
  • op_hd.png
    op_hd.png
    65 KB · Views: 124
  • op_ld.png
    op_ld.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 121
  • test_bench.png
    test_bench.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 121

Hello xplorin

The bandgap reference voltage is not designed for driving high loads, and this is the basic difference between the voltage reference and the voltage source.
therefore you should take the voltage from the bandgap reference without loading it. if you have a resistive load then use op-amp buffer between them.

the reason behinf that the reference voltage will not work properly at higher load is that the current will be decided between the load and the bipolar transistor . any change in that current will change the setting of the circuit and the balance that you already achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.