Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Baffling question about Maxwell contribution/claim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronics_kumar

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
in electromagnetics.. we are having four Maxwell equation... the first comes from Faraday law second from amphers law third and fourth comes from Gauss law.. all the work was done by respective founders then why should be all are called as Maxwell equations...whether he made significant contribution or not ..... i'm baffled

what i remember is that Maxwell indeed used the laws from others, but these we're all the static situation. Maxwell took them and expressed them in the dynamic way.

From what i remember, the term of the displacement current in Ampere's law is due to Maxwell.

Yes, and we should not underestimate the importance of this displacement current. Otherwise, we'll not be able to understand radiation.

Yes.The 4 equations are from different people but maxwell was the one who proved that a relation existed between the quantities in those equations.Moreover if these equations are solved for dielectric medium,then the wave equation obtained also clearly indicates that
electromagnetic waves travel at speed of light.This is where maxwell got the target.The permittivity(epsilon)
and magnetic permeability(mu) were prior to maxwell not related to each other.but maxwell showed that velocity of EM waves is
c=1/squareroot(mu*epsilon).

Status
Not open for further replies.