Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AWR frequency shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahruz

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I designed a 1.1GHz microstrip low pass filter using AWR.

After running axiem simulation, the results looks good. During the simulation, I used the following information which was provided from the PCB manufacturer.
Dielectric -3.5 (Rogers 4003)
Thickness -0.813mm
Top Copper- 1oz
Bottom Copper- 1 oz (this is polygon pour )
There is NO soldermask on the top copper trace.
There is soldermask on the bottom layer.

After manufacturing the design, the results was slightly shifted by nearly 200 MHz.

Is there any reason for this frequency shifts after manfucaturing despite the EM simulation shows excellent reason?

Thanks

Dielectric constant variations could shift the frequency of a microstrip filter.

Here is written that RO4003 have Dk of 3.38 +/- 0.05, and not 3.5 which you used in the simulation.

Hi Vfone,
The reason why I used that 3.5 for the di-electric is because the PCB manufacturer said to use that value.
My question is that, is there anything else that has to be taken care of to ensure that is no shift in the frequency post manufacturing?

thanks

The manufacturer might have been used a "replica substrate". Because in order to reduce the prices, they generally use replica substrates that are equivalent to original Rogers or any others.
If the specifications are tight, I recommend you to use original Rogers substrates.
In additional to, the sensitivity of a planar structure against manufacturing tolerances depends also on structure itself and manufacturing process. ( very thin lines, very close design, grounding etc.)
Do an Pareto analysis and find which part of your circuit is sensitive against tolerances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back