Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Availability of Microchip USB Bootloaders for the PIC24FJ Family and Legal Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

K33rg4t3

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Adding to Susan's points mentioned, the current MLA provides a few precompiled HEX files for the PIC24FJ family, unfortunately, there are none specifically for the PIC24FJ128GB204.

Hey, so there are ready bootloaders for PIC24FJ ? Can you give us more informations? I have some PIC24FJ's at hand at those bootloaders might come in handy for me.

Hey, so there are ready bootloaders for PIC24FJ ? Can you give us more informations?

Yes, both Susan and I have already posted that information. You need to download the most recent version of the Microchip MLA, from the link I previously posted in Reply #3, once you have installed it you will find two versions of bootloader source code, with the HID Bootloader being the most recent and preferred. There is also a folder/directory with several versions of precompiled bootloader firmware for specific series of PIC microcontrollers, however if the specific PIC24FJ series of microcontroller you have is not provided, you'll need to modify the source code for your specific device and recompile.

BigDog

Thank you, but now, the main question is, is this FREE TO USE (both compiler and USB bootloader)? Or "free to but only 4k code"?

Reference the included software license agreement:

FileName: main.c
Dependencies: See INCLUDES section
Processor: PIC24 USB Microcontrollers
Hardware: The code is natively intended to be used on the following
hardware platforms:
Explorer 16 + PIC24FJ256GB110 PIM. The firmware may be
modified for use on other USB platforms by editing the
HardwareProfile.h file.
Complier: Microchip C30 (for PIC24)
Company: Microchip Technology, Inc.

Software License Agreement:

The software supplied herewith by Microchip Technology Incorporated
(the “Company”) for its PIC® Microcontroller is intended and
supplied to you, the Company’s customer, for use solely and
exclusively on Microchip PIC Microcontroller products.
The
software is owned by the Company and/or its supplier, and is
protected under applicable copyright laws. All rights are reserved.
Any use in violation of the foregoing restrictions may subject the
user to criminal sanctions under applicable laws, as well as to
civil liability for the breach of the terms and conditions of this
license.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED IN AN “AS IS” CONDITION. NO WARRANTIES,
WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE APPLY TO THIS SOFTWARE. THE COMPANY SHALL NOT,
IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER.

Essentially the only stipulation regarding the use of either of the Microchip Bootloaders is the following:

For use solely and exclusively on Microchip PIC Microcontroller products.

Bootloaders in general tend to be as small and as compact as possible, therefore any compiler code size limitations should not be an issue. However, with only limited code optimization provided by most of the "free" compiler licenses, there will be a significant increase in the final compiled firmware size, but still well within the compilers code size limitations. Essentially, the Microchip Bootloaders can be incorporated into a final product, however the bootloader software remains property of Microchip, i.e., you cannot sell or license a client/customer specifically the bootloader firmware or as optional feature. Any application code compiled for the download and installation by said bootloader, is still subject to any "free" compiler license limitations as a standalone code module, i.e., the use of a Microchip Bootloader does not impact any code size limitations of the application code when compiled with a "free" compiler license.

BigDog

I'm not sure what you mean by "free to but only 4k code".
As far as I remember (at work can cannot see the source files) the MLA code is free to use but I'm sure there are comments in the code (and possibly a statement in the help files) that explain the complete license terms.
If all else fails, contact Microchip to be certain.
Susan

I'm not sure what you mean by "free to but only 4k code".

Good point.

Reference: Edition Types, MPLAB® XC Free Edition

MPLAB® XC Free Edition:

Supports all the devices and commands of the Standard and PRO Editions
No time or memory restrictions
Limited code optimizations
Unrestricted use—ideal for a low-cost academic or commercial solution
Allows for all the code optimization and commands of the PRO Edition for 60 days – you decide when to turn it on.
An option to activate the use of the PRO Edition features and optimizations is included. After 60 days, the compiler will revert back to the levels of the Free Edition

The current Microchip XC Compiler Free Edtion, does not impose a code size limitation, in fact the only limitation imposed is minimal code optimization, all other features remain the same as the PRO Edition. It also specifically states the Free Edition can be utilized as a commercial solution.

BigDog

Hey, I have downloaded the file: mla_v2015_08_10_windows_installer.exe
But there are no PIC24 USB bootloaders hex?
There are only files like:
- graphics_app_notes_exp16_pic24fj256ga110_pmp8_gfxv3_wqvgav1.hex
- etc
-graphics_pic24f_da_color_depth_pic24fj256da210_dev_board_qvgav1_8bpp_ipu.hex
- etc
+ some random stuff like "Snake.hex"
I can't see anything that look like the bootloader hex, do we have to compile it on our own?

Last edited:

I do not believe those files to which you refer are bootloaders, they appear to be application demos for various development boards.

You need to look for a folder/directory titled "USB Device - Bootloaders," which contains two folders/directories, "HID - Bootloader" and "Vendor Class - MCHPUSB Bootloader." The "HID - Bootloader" contains both source code and precompiled firmware and is the most recent and preferred version.

BigDog

There is a file called "boot_load_hex.c", is it this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back