Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auxiliary (peaking) stage of doherty power amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabrok

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

When the auxiliary (peaking) stage of DPA should turn on exactly (with respect to the main DPA)? Is it at Psat of main DPA or before it saturates? Thanks in advanced

Depends on the bias point.
It should be arranged so that the efficiency start to drop down, auxiliary amplifier should start to deliver RF power to maintain the efficiency stable.

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Depends on the bias point.
It should be arranged so that the efficiency start to drop down, auxiliary amplifier should start to deliver RF power to maintain the efficiency stable.
How we can relate that to the power of the main branch? As I can see in my design the main branch can maintain high efficiency(Drain efficiency) for high power levels (up to 40 dBm input power).

How we can relate that to the power of the main branch? As I can see in my design the main branch can maintain high efficiency(Drain efficiency) for high power levels (up to 40 dBm input power).
Not Input Power.. Remember an Efficiency of an Power Amplifier vs Output Power.
Drain Efficiency is not taken into account. Power Added Efficiency is more important.
It raises at the beginning then enters a relatively flat region then drops down slightly..
"You" will choose where the auxiliary amplifier delivers/adds additional power.

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Not Input Power.. Remember an Efficiency of an Power Amplifier vs Output Power.
Drain Efficiency is not taken into account. Power Added Efficiency is more important.
It raises at the beginning then enters a relatively flat region then drops down slightly..
"You" will choose where the auxiliary amplifier delivers/adds additional power.
Early turn on of auxiliary amplifier does it have any bad effect on the circuit? (during the power measurements as i can see no problem with the simulation using ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.