Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auxiliary output and poor cross-regulation, Flyback converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

strape81

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am currently working on a 65W flyback converter which is controlled by a NCP1217A PWM controller.

The problem is the auxiliary output which supplies the PWM controller. When the main outputs are not loaded, I measure a 12,8V voltage at the auxiliary one but when they are fully loaded then the auxiliary output is measured at 22Volt which is unacceptable (datasheet NCP1217A: Vccmax=16V).

I have two questions:

1) Is a Zener diode the best solution in order to clamp the Vcc-voltage at 15V or should I work more on something else, for example transformer?

2) Can this cross regulation problem cause problems to the short-circuit-protection function of the controller? The converter at no circumstance enters the protection mode when a short occurs.

some infos:

The flyback transformer has a sandwich winding in order to reduce leakage inductance: (from bottom to upper layer) PrimA - Sec1 - Sec2 - PrimB - Vcc
Lprim=930uH , Lpleak=10uH , Nprim=58turns, Nsec1=10turns, Nsec2=14turns, Nvcc=10turns

The auxiliary circuit is quite known: Resistor - Diode - el.Capacitor
R=10ohm, C=47uF

Thanks in advance,

Efstratios

Attachments

• NCP1217-D.pdf
    286 KB · Views: 53

Hi Efstratios
It seems a bit strange . but you can use a zener diode across the vcc pin of your driver . or a resistor in parallel with auxiliary winding . but i think a simple zener will be better . ( 15 volts ) ( by the way i hope that you know a flyback converter shouldn't be without load ! )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thanks goldsmith for answering my question...about the load u are right...normally I have a light load of 150mA at the outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.