Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Autorouting vs Manual routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcb87

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
manual vs autorouting

hii all experts,

I havnt done autorouting....
but i think manual routing is much better,
what do u people think.
i am now working on a PC motherboard.
what should i do .
auto routing ya manual routing..
which one u prefer.....

I think if Design rules are defined in every aspect then the auto routing is good. But one should check the board after routing.

Hi,

Do manual routing for critical signals like clock routing, DDR signals and such constrained signals. After that u lock those signals and do autorouting for the rest of signals which do not require any specific constraints and special care.

Sandhya

instead of doing rework on autorouted board manual routing is better.

Hi Folks,

it always depends on what kind of board you design and accordingly one can go for autorouting,for instance,i always route critical signals and protect them first and later i give other non critical signal for auto routing,by doing this you can save lot of time.this is how i proceed when i am given a board which needs autorouting and it works fine for me.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Ramesh

Hi m also new to pcb designing. what I came to know within this short span of time is that.....you should do manual routing for main signals and lock them & then do autorouting for rest. However manual routing is better.

If we talk of autorouters that can achieve results competitive to manual work, high quality routers as Specctra or Expedition should be considered only for a serious discussion.

I know from many examples, that a good autorouter allows to perform a routing task in minutes up to hours that need hours up to weeks with manual routing.

There are some tasks, that apparently can't be performed satisfyingly by an autorouter, e. g, routing a low-cost PC plug-in board on a two-layer PCB.

I generally share the viewpoint, that some critical routing should be better done manually. In my designs, that's mainly power supply and analog routing. Critical digital nets can be perfectly constrained by sophisticated rules (including length, distance, from-to, cross-talk, shielding, layer specific rules). It may be sometimes easier however to route some nets manually than to design these rules.

I admit, that the same consideration may apply to supply and analog nets also, so they could be routed automaticly with suitable rules as well. But the trade-off between rule design and manual routing expense is probably clearer in this case.

Hi all,

I think for some extent critical signals can also be routed(I'm talking in the case of specctra).The secret behind this is that we should give command to specctra to strictly follow the constraints.Of course we have to manually edit the net but this will take less time when considered to manual routing..:|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back