Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Autorouting problems in Protel 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUnicorn

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I use "pr otel" 2004 for designing my PCB ; But have some problem in autorouting . I need Powerfull software than "pr otel" . Please help me . Thanks for your help .

Re: PCB Design

Powerful is a very general term in CAD tools.

Autorouting usually require the designer to preset physical constraints and choice of routing algorithms, adjust the default recommended settings, alter the design rules and routing guidelines etc.

Powerful in many cases depend alot on how you set the conditions for autorouting.

Powerful ones in the market vary from individual, some might prefer Cadence Allegro, some might prefer HP MentorGraphics, some might prefer Protel 99 SE or DXP, some might prefer PADS (formerly Power PCB), some might prefer Eagle and so on... All these mentioned are popular ones used in the industry.

Powerful depends on the kind of PCB, the kind and number of components to connect, the density of netlist, the routing algorithms available etc.

If you're talking about a design tool with an autorouter able to manage many layers and with many ( i mean many ) restrictions and specifications, then I do recommend "Mentor Graphics" tool; PCB expedition.
It's been working fine with me till now
Though it's library might seem very empty to many designers.
But then you could work with Orcad's library manager and in the end migrate your design to the PCB expedition.
Hope I have helped in any way.

Try TopoR, **broken link removed** It is the most simple-to-use, fast and powerful autorouter I've ever seen. Typically it routs a simple PCB in less than a minute, delivering track length about 10% less and number of vias about 50% less than Specctra or any other autorouter. If your board has less than 125 nets, you can use TopoR Lite, which is free.

PCB Design

I have autorouted lots of boards with Protel i found it th bset by far.
When you want to auto route a PCB thers a few thing you need to consider. the component layout of your pcb it's no good just dropping the components any where a round the board otherwise this will make it harder to auto route has i said i have done a few complicated PCB layouts.and the ohter thing is the size of your pcb and as said above it is aslo so how you set the auto router up.
If you want PM me your schematic and PCB file and i will see what i can do for you. or just pcb but really i need the schematic aswell

wizpic

wizpic said:
I have autorouted lots of boards with P*otel i found it th bset by far.
Here is a comparison of several boards from Protel samples routed by Protel and TopoR:

- Z80 - routed
Protel - 775 cm, 20 via
TopoR after 1 min of routing - 687 cm, 4 via (after 5 min it gives 1 via)

-- Routed Board 1
Protel - 910 см, 116 via
TopoR after 1 min of routing - 842 cm, 47 via

-- Routed Board 2
Protel - 1648 см, 226 via
TopoR after 2 min of routing - 1453 см, 138 via

-- Routed Board 3
Protel - 4826 cm, 2014 via, 8 layers
TopoR - 4558 cm, 1114 via, 2 layers

:D

Most likely you didn't use Protel right. I guess it's 'powerful' enough for your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back