Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Autorouter for just autorouting selected components only in Eagle Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Please can you advise whether the Eagle Pro (6.5.0) Autorouter can just route particular components of a board?
(I have a board that has an SMPS on it which I can route ok...however, one part of the board has very dense signal circuitry and its too much tracking and components for hand routing.)

Ideally I can just place the signal components on the board, highlight them somehow, and then hit the autoroute button and it will route the components that I highlighted?

The Eagle autorouter has only limited control options. You can restrict it's operation either by selecting specific nets for routing or define forbidden areas.

Saying a board is too dense for hand routing somehow misses the point. I see it the other way round, if your autorouting attempts fail, hand routing is your last resort (and often the better option from the start).

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Welcome to the world of PCB design, hand routing will beat autorouting every day. The amount of times we use an autorouter these days is minimal (actually zero). That said one of (if not) the most important skill that you learn doing PCB layout is component placement and seeing how the routes are going to fan out from the patterns created by the rats nests of connections.

I agree with FvM here, hand routing will complete a design, autorouting often will not and leaves no room to finish by hand.

T

though I will place the components and then leave the autorouter to route them up?

You should learn to manually route your boards. Autorouters are a piece of crap if you don't spend enough time to configure them.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back