Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

autorefresh in sdram interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahgu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
since sdram access is synchronous, and you know how many clk cycles you need for the data to come out. What if at the instant when you do a read, the controller is doing a refresh, would that delay the data available couple cycles? how would you compensate that?

I understand autorefresh is something you have to do certain times per ms.

thanks
ahgu

There are some allowable cycles for that (safety range). The case you raised, is O.K. if it's the typical factor you design with. not m@x. nor min.

could you please give me more detail?
How to avoid the autorefresh timing difference without resort to asynchronous method?

Also, in DDR, when the host is running at 1/2 of the clk speed, it cannot access data at the full Bandwidth anyway, how would ddr help?

thanks
ahgu

Auto-Refresh is command. In the datasheet, you will see the m@x refresh cycle time is around 16ms to 64ms. And you will see in refresh cycle time, you must preform how many time autorefresh. Like 16ms will be 1k refresh ( k=1024 ),32ms is 2k refresh and 64ms is 4k refresh. You must execute precharge all first and then do auto-refresh. Precharge must spend 1~3 cycles.each time, you do auto-refresh, 1~3 cycles is panic. But you can use burst refresh,then you can save nk X prechage time. The penality is system must wait for burst refresh cycle end. I think you will choose distribute refresh, 15.6us = 64ms/4096 will have one refresh. I hope this will answer your first question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back