Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Autonomous sensor controlled car

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashekraai

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear electronic enthousiasts,

I'm and industrial design engineering student and i'm currenty writing my thesis and doing a final project. I'm building a pretty basic autonomous small robot, just like a roomba, a thing that rides around avoiding obstacles, except this one doesn't vacuum clean. My expertise is to design the housing and frame but for this project I need some basic electronics as well. Maybe some of you have some good tips and tricks or some places where I can find more information on this particular project. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Sebas

For this robotic car, you will need things like sensors, programming skills and others. You will also need image processing as the car will need to identify the objects to TELL it what obstacles to avoid and so on.

Hope that helps. It's just my opinion.

rides around avoiding obstacles

There are robots that run into something and turn away. If you want it to stop short of an obstacle then you must construct a sophisticated detection system. Probably it can work by audio, or light.

There may be rapid-shifting ultrasonic effects when you get within inches of an object. Likewise a camera image will change very rapidly at close range.

You may decide it's easier simply to install several switches around the bumpers, and let it run into things, then change direction.

----------------------------

You must also decide how many wheels your robot will have, and which wheels are needed to drive it.

Always analyze your problem by defining the input and output requirements and then the processes to make this happen before deciding on an implementation. Review existing solutions to determine what is possible and understand exactly what happens by inputs, processes and outputs in analog ( measurement ) or logical flow.

Roomba uses reflective IR optical sensors in many directions to determine wall edges etc,

You can consider motor current for stalling, optical, ultrasonic pulse distance measurements. YOu must consider surface reflectance ratio and other parameters in your spec.

Define the task that you can handle and then use a systematic approach to design. This is the most important lesson. Then iterate the design with new information early rather than when it is too late.,

"a thing that rides around avoiding obstacles"

for this you need to select moving or driving mechanism just like wall climbing humanoid robot i am giving just example .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back