Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

automotive alternator voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

black_rider

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
alternator voltage regulator

Hi,
I have an old 35A alternator (working fine on an old tractor) that does not jet have a voltage regulator integrated, so I bought some voltage regulator specialy made for add on connection. The regulator has three pins D+, D- and DF.
I also found some schematics of a basic alternator where you can see how regulator is connected to it.
78i-alt.jpg

Now I did just like scheme shows but rotor wasn't even citated since regulator does not conduct current between it's DF and D- pins. (aslo tried with 12V/5W light bulb that I connected to 12V+ and to DF of regulator, D- of regulator was connected to GND, D+ of regulator was connected to +12V, but the light bulb did not schine).

Can anyone help since regulator is brand new and shouldn't be damaged.

how an automotive alternator work

Alternator is a simple device. Then bigger the current in df pin, then bigger the output voltage.
So, if you connect DF of alternator + light bulb to lead-acid battery - _|_, and light bulb to D+ and to _|_,both lights will shine. (alternator must be in rotation).

alternator regulator

Dmitron said:
Alternator is a simple device. Then bigger the current in df pin, then bigger the output voltage.
So, if you connect DF of alternator + light bulb to lead-acid battery - _|_, and light bulb to D+ and to _|_,both lights will shine. (alternator must be in rotation).

Your statement has no meaning, I don't even now what you tried to say!

Current is not on something but is through something - voltage is on something.
When you talk about current, you are talking about current through light bulb etc.

I know how alternator works and how voltage regulator works, I am asking why in my case regulator does not conduct any! current through its DF and D- pins.

Alternator works fine withought the voltage regulator (except that the voltage goes to as high as 18V), but it doesn't work with it, since the rotor isn't citated since there is no current flow through regulator's DF and D- pin as I mentioned.

Explain this test...
As I know light should shine if I connect one end to the battery + and the other end to the regulator DF pin, meanwhile regulator's D- pin is connected to battery - and the regulator D+ is also connected to battery +.
Now if I raise the voltage on D+, current through DF and D- should be lowered and light bulb should shine less.
This is how I understand the regulator work, but in my case the regulator as mentioned DO NOT CONDUCT CURRENT THROUGH DF AND D- PIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.