Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

audio production powered by DC-DC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluelaser

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,all:
I make an audio production powered by DC-DC circuit. the specication of dc-dc is : input:8vDC---12VDC ,output:13.5VDC. the max current is 1A.
the chip is Max1771.
now I meet the problem:
a)when the speaker use the same ground with this unit. I can hear the noise. the frequency of noise is the same as the frequency of DC-DC.
b)when the unit boot up, I can hear the noise come from the motor of hard
disk .
Do you think whether it is suitable to use dc-dc power in the audio productio. or these problems are caused by the wrong pcb layout?

I hope your help !!!

Thank you!
bluelaser

Use additional filter on output voltage (coil+capacitor). If you can, show schematic you use (only part of DC-DC). In application note, Maxim suggest inductor about 22uH and low ESR capacitor. And working freq is about 300kHz (you can't hear it 8O at normal operation)

this is the schematic.

hi,i have some experience:
1:13.5v output need a big capacitor,such a 2200u-10000u elec capacitor;
2:do not use a low ESR capacitor of c2,it is easy to cause unstabiliable;
3:use more large elec capacitor parallel a low ESR,such as a 2200u-10000u+1u MKT,it is good for audio;
4:separate the power amp ground from motor,it will reduce the noise from motor;
5:parallel a low esr cap in the motor,can also reduce the noise from motor.
hope this can help you.

Thank you!
Now ,I try your methods at once.

DC-DC

check working freq of DC-DC also. If is below 20000 Hz, you have to change it. Are you using 22uH coil ?? (rather bigger size for this current with ferrite core - not power iron ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back