Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Mixer for Headset, GoPro and Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

imdacrocker

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I posted some years ago about this project, and am finally coming back to it after 3 years.

I participate in a low budget automotive racing endurance series, and I am looking for a solution to a unique communication problem.

Rather than purchase expensive radio equipment for our car, we simply use a cell phone and headset with mic for communication between our driver and pit. This works great for the most part, but we have run into a few problems.

1. Answering a call in the middle of a race is difficult. Arranging the headset button/mic carefully usually allows for the driver to be able to answer a call, but that is not always the case. The cell phones we purchased basically have no hope of an auto-answer program or feature. We also have found that occasionally the volume buttons are pressed on the phone between pit stops, making it rather difficult to hear. Therefore, I would like a remote cell phone control panel easily available to a driver who is strapped in tightly with a 6 point harness.

2. Certain helmet mounted headsets that the majority of my team have purchased are not quite loud enough in a race car going 120mph with no windows to hear the pit clearly. A signal amplifier has been bench tested proving these headsets can be heard quite well with a little extra amplification.

3. The microphone on the helmet mounted headset appears to be a little too sensitive, causing clipping during the call. Microphone attenuation is needed.

To add to this, I have been inspired by a company that makes a box that intercepts the radio communications and inputs them into the Gopro via a 3.5mm audio cable, as well as mixing it with an external microphone signal. Its can be found here:

**broken link removed**

I have done some research into the headset controls, and it seems that they use a short to ground on the microphone circuit to answer/end calls, and a low resistance signal for volume up/down.

I have successfully tested this amplifier design with my headset:

https://www.circuitbasics.com/build-a-great-sounding-audio-amplifier-with-bass-boost-from-the-lm386/

What I am struggling with is the mixing of the signals of 2 eclectic mics and the call audio from the phone into the Gopro. I have researched microphone preamps, but I am pretty sure both the Gopro and the phone supply voltage to operate the eclectic microphone, and both are looking for a specific resistance value to trigger the device to listen to microphone.

Here is a diagram of the devices and where I would like their signal to go:

broken link removed

The picture says iPhone, but we are using an android now.

So how do I control, distribute and mix all of these signals, while keeping the proper resistance values to trigger the devices?

Last edited by a moderator:

both are looking for a specific resistance value to trigger the device to listen to microphone.

Could this be to detect a low voltage rather than a resistance? Seems to me a roundabout path is needed to detect a specific resistance, electronically.

Maybe the preceding stage first pulls the line to 0V grnd at low resistance? I'm just speculating here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back