Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio "Control" Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerf

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am new to the fourm, so I am assuming that this is a good place for me to post, I am a high school student with some digital circuit knowledge.

What I want to do is extend my skills with some simple projects

What I want to do is design a device that has two audio outputs, one audio input, and one digital input. The purpos of this device is, if the digital input is high, the audio goes to output 1 and if the digital input is low the audio goes to output 2.

I dont have to worry about gain or any noise in the circuit at this point - just a simple reference or tutorial would be great, thanks

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished?

You can use , for example, 74HC4052, to control the single input of audio to your desired output.

check it datasheet and draw the circuit....

you can also look at the 4066 signal switch chip, although I have yet to sucessfully using this and relay without adding noise of distortion to the audio signal........ :(

At this point I am probably going to see if I can do it with a 4016 (CMOS quad bilateral switch) but I am going to look into your suggested solutions to see if they are any simpiler

REMEMBER, the signal is analog(audio) and therefore digital IC's will not do.

You will need analog multiplexers like CD
4051/67.

This will do your job the way you want.

I hope that this will help.

bimbla.

Cerf said:
At this point I am probably going to see if I can do it with a 4016 (CMOS quad bilateral switch) but I am going to look into your suggested solutions to see if they are any simpiler

The simplest method imho is to use a rotary switch that has make before break contact system, since it will minimise switching contact noise which I have yet to achieve with the ic switches plus no need for power supply....... you can also try it with a relay since you only have 1 position to switch to.

The simplest method imho is to use a rotary switch that has make before break contact system, since it will minimise switching contact noise which I have yet to achieve with the ic switches plus no need for power supply....... you can also try it with a relay since you only have 1 position to switch to.

That is a good point. I should have been more specific when I said using a CMOS 4016 would be simple. I should have said that it is a very simple method assuming that I am not going to use any mechanical parts.

(I am assuming that a rotary switch is a mechanical part)

Status
Not open for further replies.