Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attenuating piezo sounder for testing purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjb741

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a commercial smoke detector which I'd like to use for experimental purposes. It uses a soic-16 chip by "SEMIC": CS2105AGQ-S1Z, TGAY2VU401L.

The piezo sounder is the type with 2 terminals (ground, brass and silver <--> ground, drive, feedback ?).

If the piezo has a resonant driver circuit (I can't tell, but it does use 3 wires) then I think brass is 'drive' and silver is 'feedback'. Or maybe it is simply driven by an H-bridge.

The piezo volume can be somewhat attenuated simply by squeezing between thumb and finger.

Ideally though I would like to be able to smoothly vary the volume. I was wondering whether a simple 'rheostat' in series with ground would work and if so what a sensible value would be?

If the piezo sounder is a passive transducer (two terminals), a variable series resistor should work. For a transducer with feedback electrode (three terminals) or built-in oscillator (DC supplied), it doesn't.

It has 3 wires. I snipped the ground wire, and now I hear a muted 'buzz' which is acceptable.

Physic
Piezo Photo S,B, F.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back