Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATMEL AT91 microcontroller. Which PHY chip should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMaier

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
download davicom dm900e

I want to design an embedded system with ethernet and ATMEL AT91 microcontroller. Which PHY chip should i use? The common CS8900 is only 10 MBit. My application needs 100 MBit.

Hope to get some useful help.

Regards

Hans

Re: Ethernet

Look:
h**p://w*w.asix.com.tw/products/Ax88796.htm
h**p://w*w.smsc.com/main/catalog/lan91c111.html

Just stick with the 10MBit soloution, the ATMEL AT91 isn't fast enough to take advandtage of 100MBit. The highest performance of the fastest ATMEL AT91 is about 70 MIPS. So you don't gain any speed advantage by using 100MBit instead of 10MBit.

Me said:
Just stick with the 10MBit soloution, the ATMEL AT91 isn't fast enough to take advandtage of 100MBit. The highest performance of the fastest ATMEL AT91 is about 70 MIPS. So you don't gain any speed advantage by using 100MBit instead of 10MBit.

You not right, for 100MBit you do not need higer performance than 70 ( really 10-20 MIPS) MIPS (100Mbit not equal 100MIPS !!!!), new high integrity ethernet controllers contains fast internal packet memory and same aplications do not require all data transfer via CPU ( also is possible data transfer via DMA). Sometimes fast ethernet is better for interconnection with other devices, which have fast ethernet interface ....

The theoretical transfer rate of a 10MBit network is about 120kByte/sec. You can achieve 60% in real world . This means the real datarate is 72KByte/sec.

With AT91 and 70 MIPS it should be possible to reach 500 kByte/sec.

Are there only the above mentioned chips available?

Thanks for you replies

Hans

you are right, wzdreamer
on a PC platform, a 10Mbit Ethernet delivers a max tranfer rate of about 600KBytes/sec. This makes sense because 10Mbit/sec = 1.x Mbyte/sec. Taking into account the huge overhead of ethernet layers, we cant expect to get > 600kBytes/sec. But 72KB/s is missing a zero i think.

You need to process an bit stream of 200 Mbit/sec if you are running full duplex 100Mbit Ethernet.
So your system must be able to manage one byte every 40ns to/from the memory not counting any fifo.

And if there are a minimum packet size of 64 bytes, then roughly 15000 packet/sec is coming and the processor
must decide every 60-70 usec to keep or throw away the packet. But usually you have bigger packets.

Now there is a speed control in the 100Mbit Ethernet protocol so you can regulate the packet rate.

Sometimes the MAC has address filtering but the lan91c111 seems just to have a hashing filter.

So you have to check that your system can handle the memory speed and that the processor has low enough latency for buffer handling

100Mbit physical connection do not require the same ( Max for full duplex 200Mbit) data process speed ....
If this data not UDP (or other MAC Lev 2) data flow with full speed ....

Hi,
LSILOGIC has also 100MBit Ethernet chips.
But maybe it's better to use a CPU with integrated ethernet. It's cheaper, you'll get much more CPU power and there are less risks.

BenKropp said:
But maybe it's better to use a CPU with integrated ethernet. It's cheaper, you'll get much more CPU power and there are less risks.

Good idea, look:
Samsung ARM core System on Chip (SoC) S3C4530A 16/32-bit RISC microcontroller
is a cost-effective, high-performance microcontroller solution for Ethernet-based systems. An integrated Ethernet controller, the S3C4530A, is designed for use in managed communication hubs and routers.
Important peripheral functions include two HDLC channels with buffer descriptor, two UART channels with full modem interface signal and 32byte buffer, 2-channel GDMA, two 32-bit timers, and 26 programmable I/O ports. On-board logic includes an interrupt controller, DRAM/ SDRAM controller, and a controller for ROM/SRAM and flash memory.

It price is about 15 $ USD, add SDRAm and FLASH and Ethernet PHY.

h**p://w*w.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/semiconductors/search/datasheet.jsp?family=354
h**p://w*w.samsungusa.com/download/semiconductors/system_lsi/um_s3c4530a.pdf

s3c4510b is very similar as s3c4530a:
h**p://w*w.samsungusa.com/download/semiconductors/system_lsi/um_s3c4510b_rev1.pdf
h**p://w*w.samsungusa.com/download/semiconductors/system_lsi/an_s3c4510b.pdf

Evolution board:
h**p://w*w.samsungusa.com/download/semiconductors/system_lsi/snds100.pdf
h**p://topmicrosystems.com/kimstek/50100/UM_S3C4510B_rev1.pdfh**p://topmicrosystems.com/html/help_keb50100.phtml
h**p://topmicrosystems.com/kimstek/50100/Snds100_SCH.pdf
h**p://topmicrosystems.com/kimstek/50100/AppNote.zip

Evolution board prices:
h**p://topmicrosystems.com/html/eboard_price.phtml
Low cost for s3c4530A: TEB-4530AC 350 USD
h**p://topmicrosystems.com/html/help_teb4530ac.phtml
h**p://topmicrosystems.com/kimstek/SNDS300/UM_S3C4530A_rev1.zip

Source code and examples:
h**p://topmicrosystems.com/kimstek/50100/SNDS100_SRC.zip

Ethernet

Lantronix has got a cool solution: XPort.
Check it out at www.lantronix.com
It is probably the coolest I've seen recently. The only problem is that Lantronix is a lousy firm and the XPort is rather expensive.

trace

If you don’t want to spend money and time to implement a protocol stack, then this chip from Epson could be something

Epson S1S60000

Features:
Realises network connection with simple command operations.
Eliminates license costs due to the unique protocol stack.
General Purpose I/O pins and I²C bus allows simpler hardware control without resorting to a host MPU.
Allows adding or changing the protocols used through rewriting of the Flash ROM.
Protocol Supported ARP, ICMP, IP, TCP, UDP, HTTP, DHCP, TFTP, SNMP

For more info
http://www.epson-electronics.de/products/displayItem?itemId=S1S60000&categoryId=EEG.IC.ASSP.Interface_IC`s.network_controller

Hello!

I'm searching long time for similar solution. Does anyone have any expirience with this S1S60000 network controler?

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back