Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATmega328P 3x4-digits and 1x6-digits 7-segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.

imranahmed

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please let me know I want to make a digital multi-meter using 7-segment display.
Meter looks like below
0000 --> 4-digit 7-segment display for showing Voltage
0000 --> 4-digit 7-segment display for showing Ampere
0000 --> 4-digit 7-segment display for showing kilo-Watt
000000 --> 6-digit 7-segment display for showing kilo-Watt-hour (kWh)

I know about MAX7219 display driver but I want something different easier than MAX7219.
If anyone knows about any hint or book or article please let me know.
Same I can do for Arduino UNO or MEGA.

Do you want all those displaying at the same time or just a single 6 digit display with two digits unused for the first three measurements?
LED or LCD or OLED?
Multiplexed or statically driven display?

MAX7219 is VERY easy to use and does almost all the work for you if you are using LEDS.

Brian.

Do you want all those displaying at the same time or just a single 6 digit display with two digits unused for the first three measurements?
LED or LCD or OLED?
Multiplexed or statically driven display?

MAX7219 is VERY easy to use and does almost all the work for you if you are using LEDS.

Brian.
Yes, all 4 displays lit-up 24 hours showing their values i.e V, I, kW and kWh at the same time.
6-digits use for kWh because of continuously counting electricity units.
All are LED type.
You please refer Multiplexed or statically driven display?

I would certainly use multiplexing, if for no other reason than the current consumption is far less and the circuitry is far simpler.
One MAX7219 will drive 8 digits, you could combine two of your four digit displays on one MAX7219, use another for the other four digits and one for the remaining six.

You can 'daisy chain' them so you only need three signals to drive all the digits: clock, data and a select signal. Join all the clocks in parallel, join all the selects (CS) in parallel, drive DIN on the first MAX7219 with data and connect its DOUT pin to the next '7219 in the chain.

If you do it the way I suggested, you wouldn't use all the drive signals, you would still have over 40 individually driveable LED outputs you could use for other indicators.

Brian.

I would certainly use multiplexing, if for no other reason than the current consumption is far less and the circuitry is far simpler.
One MAX7219 will drive 8 digits, you could combine two of your four digit displays on one MAX7219, use another for the other four digits and one for the remaining six.

You can 'daisy chain' them so you only need three signals to drive all the digits: clock, data and a select signal. Join all the clocks in parallel, join all the selects (CS) in parallel, drive DIN on the first MAX7219 with data and connect its DOUT pin to the next '7219 in the chain.

If you do it the way I suggested, you wouldn't use all the drive signals, you would still have over 40 individually driveable LED outputs you could use for other indicators.

Brian.
Yes I did it in same manner as you defined and now doing programming.
Please find the attached snap.

Attachments

• ProteusMeter.png
    ProteusMeter.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 101

For future work, single chip solution ( LCD or LED, 20 bit DelSig, ARM )-

Note above example used DelSig at 12 bits, but its capable of 20 bits. Also did it with
LCD, chip also supports LED controller.

Regards, Dana.

For future work, single chip solution ( LCD or LED, 20 bit DelSig, ARM )-

Note above example used DelSig at 12 bits, but its capable of 20 bits. Also did it with
LCD, chip also supports LED controller.

Regards, Dana.
I need for Arduino because my project based on Arduino and I want to know any MAX7219 library to run directly floating point variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.