Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATmega2560 and AVRDUDE fuse setting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirag2239

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am working with ATmega2560 and I need to program it by ISP programmer using AVRDUDE.

I am applying an external clock of 2 to 4 MHz to the XTAL 1 pin of ATmega2560 which is generated by 555 astable multivibrator.

Is this correct set up? Previously I have worked with ATmega16 with the same set up and it was working.

Now I am working with ATmega2560 and got the following error :

avrdude.EXE: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude.EXE: Device signature = 0x000102
avrdude.EXE: Expected signature for ATMEGA2560 is 1E 98 01
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude.EXE done. Thank you.

It seems that I have set up the wrong fuse. I have tried to set up the fuse for external clock calculated from the engbedded.com website. But it is not working still.

I have connected all the pins of VCC, AVCC, AREF, GND, XTAL2, MISO, MOSI, SCK, and RST. From hardware point of view, everything is perfect but the problem is at fuse setting.

Can any one guide me what fuse I have to set up? What would be the start up time?

I read the datasheet but I could not understand what fuse would be there?

Please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks.
Chirag

What was the exact commandline issued which resulted in the following:

avrdude.EXE: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude.EXE: Device signature = 0x000102
avrdude.EXE: Expected signature for ATMEGA2560 is 1E 98 01
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude.EXE done. Thank you.

Have you attempted to read the fuse settings?

avrdude -c usbasp -p m2560 -v -v -v

Run the above twice and post the output. Also you might try and reduce the serial baud rate with the -b option:

-b 115200

Also power the board independently from the programmer.

BigDog

Hi,

The output I have posted in the image. Please see the attachment.

Attachments

• Configuration.JPG
    Configuration.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 193

I'm not familiar with the GUI interface.

Try reducing the baud rate using the drop down menu, set it to 115200 or lower.

AVRDUDE GUI and ATmega2560 communication problem

Hi all,

I am working on ATmega2560. I am developing my custom board and at the time of programming the controller I got the error as per attached image.

The controller was detected by pressing it and then I was getting error of time out before this happened. But after doing same process by changing the fuses, suddenly I was getting the error as per attached image.

Does my controller is damaged? Is there any way to get back the controller?

I have soldered all the pins of controller again and ISP connector to the 10 pin socket. I have checked all the connection too but from hardware point of view, there is no error.

Can anyone help me to find out the fault? I do not want to buy a new controller before testing it and confirmation that the controller is damaged.

Attachments

• config screenshot.JPG
    config screenshot.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 158

I suggest you utilize the command line version of AVRDude and attempt to slow down the baud rate of serial connection using the '-b" option as I indicated before. AVRs which are relatively slowly clock, which is your situation, have had communication issues with the full baud rate of their programmer.

If the serial connection baud rate is not the issue, then it is likely you have inadvertently disabled the ISP option in the fuses. In which case either a high voltage or JTAG programmer will be required to return the fuse settings back to their required state.

BigDog

I have Arduino Mega2560. Please provide download link for AVRDudeGUI v2.1 and also provide link to purchase your programmer. I will test it and reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.