Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT91SAM7S ARM7 code from ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buriedcode

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

A few months ago I purchased the olimex SAM7S256 board, and I am just getting around to playing with it. Device: AT91SAM7S256
https://www.olimex.com/dev/sam7-p256.html

There are many code examples there, and on the web, and I have set up eclipse with YOGARTO tools/OpenOCD. Hardware dongles available for debugging are the JTAG wiggler, and an altera USB blaster. But before I start with those (I am scared :) I thought I would use atmels SAM-BA software.

Now, what I can't seem to understand is just 'how' to download code into the RAM (not flash) and run it from there. I thought this would be very handy for debugging, and would save the limited flash write cycles (100 for the SAM-BA boot loading software) as I'm a newbie and like to often load in simple code and see it run in real hardware.

I have tried using SAM-BA to do this. Whilst I can use both SAM-BA and SAM-PROG to program the flash with an LED blinking *.bin file (all works fine) if I send the bin file to the internal SRAM (starting address 0x200000) and using the TCL commend line, executing it ( go 0x200000). - This does nothing, except make SAM-BA screw up. - Is this because the compiled bin file has some information regarding its placement in the memory?

So, ultimately, using any hardware/software given above, how can I make sure my code is loaded into the internal SRAM rather than flash? I am fully aware it will be lost on power-off, but I prefer to do my tinkering in ram to save flash cycles, and when I have fully working code, then I can burn it to the flash.

Any advice would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back