Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT89C51 UART communication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gah_wah

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
at89c51 uart

Dear All,

I want to use AT89C51 serial to communication a bar code reader, the bar code reader is Serial ASCII (RS-232), can I directly driven the reader output data to the microcontroller?

Thanks,
Best Regards,
gah wah

You need an RS232 Level converter such as MAX232 or MAX233.

No, you can not.
You will need a RS-232 driver circuit such as MAX(AD, DS, ST,...)232, MAX202, or similar .. (how to connect this driver: **broken link removed**)

Hi All,

Thanks you for your help and suggest the solution.
Actually, I have finished the project, the bar code TX data pin is directly connect to the AT89C51 RXD pin, and the AT89C51 still can receive the correct bar code data.

why I have not add the RS232 Level converter, the AT89C51 still can receive the data???

May your barcode reader has serial port
communication witl TTL level output.
so, you do not need level converter.

Siswanto

The Max232 only converts the logic TTL levels of the received data to +10 and -10 volts to meet the RS232 serial port standard, so if u want for example to connect the Microcontroller to the PC serial port (which uses the RS232 standard) u had to use a level converter such as MAX232.

The answer to your question why you could connect the bar code reader directly to 89c51 is this: in the last years more and more equipment such as GPS receivers, POS, and in your case bar code readers, and several others, instead of using standard RS-232 levels use just simple 0-5V output level and in some cases it is already negated, and computer manufacturers facing this "problem" implemented serial ports that can read both: proper RS-232 and 0-5V levels..

Status
Not open for further replies.