Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Asynchronous VHDL state machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkat_vs2k2

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Design of Asynchronous ciruits using VHDL

Hi ,

I am trying to implement an asynchronous microcontroller design in VHDL. I am totally new to asynchronous designs. I have read some basic concepts about single rail, dual rail, bundle data, mullerC element etc.
I am trying to use a 4 phase bundle data protocol for handshaking. I am using ISim for Simulation. I have a Program Counter module, a ROM module, and a Controller. My simulation completes in 0 time which is quite normal. So inorder to see the waveforms, i introduce delays inbetween handshaking signals in simulation. However, during synthesis, the delays will be ignored my the ISE synthesizer if I am right. And the entire execution of the design will complete in 0 time. So what are the hazards / glitches that I can expect. How should I overcome it ?

Also , are there any examples of VHDL State machines for a fully asynchronous designs ? Is it a good practice to use statemachines in a fully asynchronous design ? The examples that I have seen so far, illustrates only simple circuits with a few handshaking signals . Did i not look properly ? or Is it the most convinient and most preferred way to implement an asynchronous design ?

Please provide some input/ pointers in this direction. Would be much helpful.

Thank you ,

Venkat.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.