Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Asking for help: HFSS Slotline Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunros

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss slotline port size

I am trying to simulate a simple slotline in Duroid 6010 substrate (h= 1.524mm, e_r = 10.8 ) from 1 GHz to 5 GHz. The width of slotline is w = 0.1mm which gives about 50 Ohm Z0. According to the rule of thumb, the port width is 8*w and height is 5*h (2h above substrate and 2h below substare).
I start with the port only simulation, and it terminated with error message like:
"Port-only solution, process abc3d: The frequency specified for this problem is too low. The solution may not be converged. Check the frequency and material properties for this problem".
I do want to simulate it from 1 - 5 GHz, thus I have to stick with these frequency, and I can not find anything wrong with my materail property. Could someone help me to take a look my slotline HFSS simulation setup and give me some suggestion?
Your advice is highly appreciated!

you may reduce the size of port.

I reduce the port size and tried seveal different sizes , even down to its minimum (width = 3W and height = 3h).
It seems thet go through the initial mesh and lambda-Refine mesh steps, when they get to the solving ports steps, they are all terminated with same error message I posted before.
I am wondering if this error is related to the mesh. Do I need to do some maunal mesh operation on certain surface based on this slotline design?
Thanks!

Take a look in the on-line help in the section regarding impedance calculation. There is cogent information there.

Hello, Azulykit, Thank you for your reply. I guess you must mean something when you suggest me to take a look the impedance calculation. I did go through the related sections in on-line help of HFSS, I realize I need use Zpv to calculate the port impedance for soltline (Actually that is what I did in the port setup), but I don't know whatelse is helpful for my case. I guess I must miss your points, thus could you please make it more specific so that it is easy for me to look into it? I am stuck here now and desperately need help to solve this problem. Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back