Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ASIC vs SOC AND vs FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIC_int

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the difference between ASIC and SOC? What is the difference between an ASIC implementation and FPGA implementation structure?

ASIC stands for Application Specific Integrated Circuit. It is customized for specific purpose rather than general purpose. It can be a chip for cell phone, networking, communication or even for a children toy. An ASIC can be designed by either full custom approach or semi-custom approach. In full custom approach each transistor is hand crafted. So it take a lot of time and not suited for most consumer market. Because time to market will be very high. On other hand semi-custom uses pre designed stranded cell library. So time to market is less.

SOC is System-on-Chip. SOC may contain multiple processor cores, different type memories like RAM, ROM, EEPROM, DSP processor , different kind of interfaces like USB, Ethernet, CAN, UART, pheripherals like Osillator, PLL, ADC,ADC, PWM on a single chip. So it is a complete system on a single chip. It is not necessary that a SOC contains all of these modules. It contains modules depending on requirement. Further a SOC can be designed using ASIC approach.

Application-specific integrated circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
System-on-a-chip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ASIC design requires go through design process starting from specifications to fabrication. Masks are created by foundry using GDSII file. than chip is fabricated. Only the fabrication takes 2-3 months.
While in FPGA based design you need to write a verilog and synthesize it. Create a bit file(binary file) that programs the FPGA. This file decides FPGA interconnection depending on the logic. But performance is poor compared to ASIC.

Suggested readings:
Application Specific Integrated Circuits by Sebastian Smith
Modern VLSI design:system-on-chip design by Wayne Wolf

Also see my previous post on FPGA:
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/209794/
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/209147/

Last edited:
Reactions: aasai

aasai

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yadavvlsi

Is it that an ASIC can be a SOC?
How many years of exp do u have? Which city are u located in India? Hope u are an Indian.

Last edited:

Yes, AISC can be a SOC. Many of ASICs are SOC now a days. A chip used in mobile phone is best example.Yes I am a Indian. Right now I am working in Bangalore as ASIC design engineer.

Visit links below:
AC495E SoC Block Diagram
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

PHP:
A chip used in mobile phone is best example.

What do you want to mean by "A chip used in mobile phone is best example." Is that u want to mean that mobile phone is a SOC? Is that you want to mean that chip is an ASIC? What do you want to mean?

Do u have opening for Designers in your company now?

I think all Asic is not an SOC, .................. but all SOC is an ASIC ....
Because Soc is an complete system designed by following the ASIC design flow...

But simple ASIC contain only few functionality,.. so i think this simple ASIC doesn't contain that SOC properties .....

Hi ASIC_int:

Mobile phone is a embedded system. Chip used in mobile phone is a SOC and this SOC is designed using ASIC approach.
Market is up there are a lot openings in various companies. You can approach for interview through proper channel. You can upload your resume on company's website. The best way is to send resume to some who is already working in the company. I think you a fresher. You can send your resume to some of your seniors working in different companies. Best of luck.

Hi aasai,
I think all Asic is not an SOC, .................. but all SOC is an ASIC ....
Because Soc is an complete system designed by following the ASIC design flow...

But simple ASIC contain only few functionality,.. so i think this simple ASIC doesn't contain that SOC properties .....

Right, It is not necessary that all the ASICs are SOCs. SOCs are designed using ASIC approach and the SOC is a complete system on a single chip. and ASICs are designed for dedicate purpose that may be for use in consumer electronics like cellphone,DSP,modem application, deference application, space application. Biggest market for ASICs is in consumer electronics. Now a days all the ASICs are very complex. No one would like to go for ASIC for small functionality. ASIC design and fabrication is very costly business. So one would like to include as much as possible functionality in ASIC and this leads to SOC approach.

in fact , ASIC and FPGA flow are quite different and use different tool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back